Android GPS app?

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
This spring we are planning on a several-week cruise, and I'd like to be able to use my Android tablet as a backup GPS. Being able to display NOAA charts would be a definite plus. Any suggestions for a good app? TIA.

Igetit

May 26, 2011
Hunter 270 Lake Monroe, Indiana
There have been several threads on this but I will offer up my personal fave - an app called Navionics. Not free but maps are widely available and it runs well on my Android phone.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have one on my tablet called MX Mariner. Pretty close copy to the NOAA test one. Seems to work well.

On my Iphone I have INavx. It was an expense, but I like it better than Navionics

The MX Mariner uses the free NOAA charts, as does INavx

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
I love MX Mariner and MX Tides.
It looks to me like once you download the charts you do not have to have WiFi to navigate with it but I have not had a chance to confirm that.
Lots of people also recommend Navionics and Active Captian but I have yet to figure out how to use either.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I've been using MX Mariner for a couple of years and it is my goto app for android smartphone and laptop. After the NOAA charts are downloaded there is no need for internet access. It is a simple, user friendly navigator.

Another app that I have used is Nuticharts. It's advantage over MX Mariner is that the Active Captain users comments about anchorages, etc can be loaded on the NOAA charts when in internet range. I would suggest loading both apps on your android. Probably lots of others, but these are the ones that I have used.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I use active captain.... I have it on my android phone, tablet, laptop computer, and garmin 176c nav unit on my boat.....

I like to be able to review anchorages and marinas at my destination before I get there....

it also has the GPS on the NOAA maps on the screen....

sincerely
Jess

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
As suggested do a search of the site. There are probably a couple dozen threads on this subject. Been pretty thoroughly discussed.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
My app of choice is Marine Navigator. It too uses NOAA charts and does not require WiFi or Data of any kind (except to initially load the charts). Easy to use and works on both Tablets and Phones.

The app has internal links to NOAA so one does not have to try and find their URL. Just select IMPORT and then NOAA and it leads you right to the download page. Very nice.

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
NOAA works well

I have Mariner MX (free version) and the beta NOAA app on my tablet. Both work fine but I prefer the NOAA. Works fine on Lake Erie.

Feb 11, 2006
Hunter 34 Galveston,Texas
I have been using Navionics for years . I have used it on Android smartphones.And still do. I have taken it along the Gulf Coast and the ICW along Texas.Been down to Puerto Rico on a boat that I took to the outer islands.It has never failed me.

Mar 1, 2012
One point about not needing wifi. IF the tablet has a built in GPS and some don't, you don't need wifi for ANY of the nav stuff, once the charts are loaded.

Make SURE your brand of tablet, or what ever has a GPS in it.

Mar 1, 2012
I have been using Navionics for years . I have used it on Android smartphones.And still do. I have taken it along the Gulf Coast and the ICW along Texas.Been down to Puerto Rico on a boat that I took to the outer islands.It has never failed me.

I got soured on Navionics in the Bahamas, where it CONSISTENTLY showed us where we were NOT. I just have not done well with it, although many seem to love it

Jun 2, 2007
As suggested do a search of the site. There are probably a couple dozen threads on this subject. Been pretty thoroughly discussed.
Oops, I see what you mean. I follow this site but didn't remember seeing a related thread. My bad.

Jun 2, 2007
FWIW, I ended up getting MX Mariner. Nice little app, does what I want, all charts included, along with Active Captain notes (new addition I think), for 7 bucks. Love it.
As it happens, the first time I went to try it out I ran into fog with sub 1/4 mile visibility. Came in pretty handy.

BJV

Jun 8, 2004
Island Trader 41 foot Ketch, CC Arnold
Have samsung galaxy tab with gps and use plantonav app with cmap charts and integrated with active captain. Great success. App free, pay for maps, active capt overlay free. Love cmap because it incorperates explorer charts for bahamas.