And then there were six, leaks that is, how did you seal the stay attachments?

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I’ve been on a mission to waterproof the boat. Rebedded the stantions, pulpit, hand rails, that screw on my original forward hatch, you get the picture. The pulpit was the latest and I thought that was it, but no. So, sat in the boat in my driveway in a thunderstorm to see where it’s still leaking.

Four of my remaining leaks are these things (see pics). Not sure the official name, but they are where the stays attach except for the forward one, which gets the roller fuller. Anyway, how have folks sealed these?

They are riveted on. Is this the case for 3M 5200?

BTW: the other two are the extra hole for a screw for the Bimini rail, not sure why they needed an extra hole, guess it was a feature, and the guide for the starboard jib sheet (I think it’s bedded with Devils sealant (5200J.

Attachments

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I don't think I've ever seen rivets.
If they go all the way through, or maybe even if they don't, pop em out. Drill through and replace with through bolt machine screws with backing nuts. --- if you can access the underside.
Make sure the screws you get are the same size as the holes. Like close enough that the screws almost cut threads in the fiberglass.
Bed the screws and plate with Bed-It tape.
You don't need a backing plate since it's not a load bearing item.
See if you can flatten that one plate.
The leak may be through the chainplate. Use Bed-It on the outside at the base. It's tacky enough that it will stay put. Make sure the chainplate is completely dry and clean.

Edit:
You may not want to buy a whole role of Bed-It for this tiny job. Joe's right, use a flexible sealant like Life Calk. They have a white version.
image.png

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I have used 3M 4000 about twice in 8 years or so. Like it since it stays somewhat flexible. Clean well before applying it,

Sumner

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I believe those are called chain plate covers. Drill out the rivets, lift up the cover and install a flexible sealant into the gaps around the chain plate (the vertical piece that the shrouds attach to)... then re fit the covers.. I recommend using removable fasteners, either thru bolts or self tapping screws, adequately sealed with the same product you used for the chain plates.

You should also inspect the chain plates where they come through the deck from the inside and where they attach to the boat. You really can't tell a lot from the outside. This is a common area for water intrusion and can lead to some pretty serious problems if neglected.

One other area to regularly inspect is the hull to deck joint. Water can weep its way through the joint if the old sealant has deteriorated over the years. You can check it by occasionally spraying water up under the rub rail when you hose down the boat.

Jun 1, 2015
I was exagerating when I said I used a whole role. I originally bought two roles, so I set.

Jun 1, 2015
Thanks all! Great help as usual.

I was trying to avoid drilling out the rivets, but want to do it right. I can easily get to two of the four, so through bolts for those, self tapping screws for the other two.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...I was trying to avoid drilling out the rivets...
Might be better to drill them out, but I haven't. The first time we were in Florida and got back to the yard with the boat and it had been raining and the yard was going to be locked at 8 pm and we wanted to start north up the east coast to visit family. I dried the area, put the 4000 on and we left. I was hoping for a temporary fix but it lasted a couple years so just did the same thing again and then again a couple years later.

There is no stress on those plates so I see no reason pop rivets won't continue working if you want to go that route. If I ever pull them off I'll do that,

Sumner
======================================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jun 1, 2015
Ok, I know you are all sitting around, killing the internet hitting the refresh button so you can find out which option I chose.

And with no drum roll, ..., I chose to drill em out, use butyl tape, and screw em back on except for the rear one which is easily accessed and now through bolted.

Will try to remember to post an update near the end of the sailing season, but expect that I will forget because I don’t notice them because they are no longer leaking.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Butyl Tape. Mine leak every year. I have resorted to a new wrap of tape on the outside each spring. Scrape/ cut off to trim. Smush it in and away you go.. Not pretty but dry.