....and so it begins...

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
In a weeks time, we'll unstep our mast and be transported home the next day... Today is the first prep day. Dodger and Bimini along with their frames will be removed. Then on Saturday, the last sail for the season before stripping the sails. On Sunday morning the mast will be unstepped, and on Monday ( the first day of WINTER) she'll come home.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello sailme88,

That time comes around each year for many of us. Our sailing can continue until late October if the weather is OK. Haul out of larger boats we owned was always a busy time. Do you have a checklist for winterizing? I often worried whether I forgot to do something. I also was torn between covering the boat or leaving it uncovered. Whenever we visited the boat we were very likely going to need to remove icebergs from the tarp's low spots. One year in Maryland the iceberg was so heavy it broke out a stanchion. Who would have thought the tarp would be so strong?

In late October our small boat will be stored in the barn for the winter. Time to refresh some finishes here and there. Also, time to work on the recently acquired CD Typhoon which we bought a few weeks ago from the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St Michaels, MD.

Best Wishes

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Hello sailme88,

That time comes around each year for many of us. Our sailing can continue until late October if the weather is OK. Haul out of larger boats we owned was always a busy time. Do you have a checklist for winterizing? I often worried whether I forgot to do something. I also was torn between covering the boat or leaving it uncovered. Whenever we visited the boat we were very likely going to need to remove icebergs from the tarp's low spots. One year in Maryland the iceberg was so heavy it broke out a stanchion. Who would have thought the tarp would be so strong?

In late October our small boat will be stored in the barn for the winter. Time to refresh some finishes here and there. Also, time to work on the recently acquired CD Typhoon which we bought a few weeks ago from the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St Michaels, MD.

Best Wishes
I no longer frame up and tarp the boat.. I've got a shrink wrapper who come to the house and does his thing,, Use the white wrap so there is usable daylight for projects.. And yes, a checklist is always in play. ~~(\__~~

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Follow up: Fueled today..19.7 gallons @$2.12.. $41.76 for the entire season.. 55 days sailing so far...36 cent a day !

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Follow up: Fueled today..19.7 gallons @$2.12.. $41.76 for the entire season.. 55 days sailing so far...36 cent a day !
Wow! I think we can attribute Maines economic sailing benefits to reliable winds and it's vast cruising coast.

I topped off my diesel tank in 2019 just before leaving for 3 weeks. We spent 5 weeks on the boat and sailed almost all of those days in season 2019.

This season - 2020, I again did the annual top off of the diesel tank before leaving for 3 weeks. It took 24.5 gallons.

I won't know how much diesel we use in 2020,...until 2021, but the gauge is above 3/4 (80 gallon tank).

Now I'm topping off with another fuel for the rest of the season:

949 fireplace (1 of 1).jpg

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
In the thirties this morning, we would have begun heading south if we had stayed on a ball in Maine. We opted to leave it in the Chesapeake. We’re now evaluating how far south we can go. I carry more fuel in jerrycans than you both use in a season.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Diesel at the gas station in Annapolis on Saturday was 2.49, same as at the dock pump. We went for the Oyster Boys floating concert.

60 degrees here this Tuesday morning. Bbbbrrr, it's cold !

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
I've used 3 gallons so far this year. Only motor getting in and out of the marina and rarely with a south wind to get back to the marina. The Hudson north of Stony Point is in a narrow canyon that funnels the wind and is not sufficiently wide to tack, partially from the exclusion zone at the Indian Point nuke.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a 19 gal tank, and she is about 1/3 full after using the boat for the summer. I am way too cheap to own a power boat....:huh:

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
In the thirties this morning, we would have begun heading south if we had stayed on a ball in Maine. We opted to leave it in the Chesapeake. We’re now evaluating how far south we can go. I carry more fuel in jerrycans than you both use in a season.
A tad cool here as well. Forecasted clear skies and 70's never materialized. 52 degrees when I set sail at 11:00. Haze in the sky is reportedly a by-product of the west coast fires. It was fleece sail with spring ski gloves...brrrrr that wheel gets cold !

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We only have an 18 gallon tank so we filled it 4 times so far this season. Not much sailing. The wind was either right on our nose or non-existent. Then again we only had 30 days to play. The rest of the days were all broken up.

We're still hoping for more nice sailing days if this forest fire smoke would dissipate.
Ken