And now, a word from the wise

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
If you could drop a single pearl of wisdom on a brand new sailboat owner, what would it be?

goodadvice.png

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Do intensive search for which surveyor to use and be sure they are very familiar with sailboats.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
"PAY ATTENTION!"
Sailing is much more complicated than it looks. It is more complicated than power boating. It looks low tech, it looks relaxed, it looks easy, but it is deceptive. It is all worth it and it is all those things listed above, but it is also so much more. Pay attention or it will cost even more money and pain and stress than it normally does.

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Unless you are familiar with boat building techniques, do not buy a 'fixer upper' thinking it will save you money, unless you are buying the boat because you would rather work on it than sail it. Perhaps half or more project boats get passed on to other owners unfinished or in worse condition than they were bought in, or are cut up and sent to the dump.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Hmm...since we assume the person receiving the advice is a new owner, and not a prospective one, this means providing post purchase advice. So my thought would be this:

Get all of the manuals for every system on that boat - the owner and service manuals. Then go through each system individually and learn as much as you can about them, while you inspect and take stock of what work or maintenance needs to be done to each of them. This will take some time, but when you complete such a review you'll have a pretty good understanding of your boat, its systems and their actual condition, and a prioritized plan for maintenance and replacement to ensure safety, functionality, reliability, of your vessel. Your survey report (you had a survey done, right?), should be just a starting point.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Quickly learn to be the...

Captain of your new boat.

As Captain, you are responsible for the crew and your boat.
____
It may sound simple, but the larger the boat and features, the more training needed.

My quick example is Radar. My new boat had one, but I was not the Captain of my Radar use.
Jim...

PS: Honey, why doesn't the Microwave oven work?:doh:

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
If you think you're going slow enough to dock, slow down! And don't worry about the prop walk, use it to your best advantage.
Good Luck
Dom

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
With a new used boat there are many things you don't know. Some big some little, but you will find them at the most inopportune time. Make sure you have towing insurance before your maiden voyage.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Take some lessons if you are new to sailing

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Your boat is the result of 2000 years of sailing evolution, make what you got clean, shiny,functional and seaworthy before making any major "Improvements". What used to be termed "shipshape and Bristol".

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
About being a new owner...
Do what professionals do. When a new US Navy Captain takes command of a ship/boat he is required to sign for the ship/boat. Before taking command He/She reads the logs; Maintenance, Performance, Condition and then tours the ships spaces. A careful Captain inspects all of the spaces, even those ”voids” where no one ever wants to go. After all the Captain is taking ownership of the ship and the lives of the crew who will serve his/her command.

As a new recreational craft owner, take an assessment of your boat. Sit in it and learn it’s systems. Why are things placed where they are placed. Not only what they do but how they help or hurt other systems on the boat. This takes a little time. Time is on your side in this case. Knowing where everything is, how it works and why it is there will give you the information you will need to safely operate your craft.

That it the do... As for a don’t... Give your self some operational time before you jump in and change things. That is another trait of a good Captain. Learn why this does this and that does that and how they may work together or not work at all. In this forum are many discussions about adding this new tool or that new feature to your boat. You may not need any new toys on the boat Based on the way you are sailing the boat. So don’t spend money and time on things that do not fit your boat and sailing desires.

Finally I agree with the statements:
Go Sailing by @PaulK and @Hunter216 That is where it is happening.

In the words of the "infamous Captain Ron"
1583180964522.png

Captain Ron: Well if anything's going to happen it's going to happen out there.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Just one? It's hard to prioritize, so I'll go with:

Step away from the power drill. You need to go for at least a year before perforating your boat to add whatever piece of equipment you think you need, be it a cupholder or a radar.

Or...

Learn at least the rudiments of the Colregs. We don't need another boater out there acting as a contaminant.