And I Complain About 12’ Tides

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world - I used to sail where there consistent 9 meter tides. It's a force to recon with ...

dj

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
My wife is Canadian, and her uncle lives on the Bay of Funday. It is on my retirement list to get up to the Maritimes…

Greg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
My wife is Canadian, and her uncle lives on the Bay of Funday. It is on my retirement list to get up to the Maritimes…

Greg
Can't recommend them more! Spectacular sailing IMHO...

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Except for the fog I hear….

Greg
You learn to run radar.

Yes, I was anchored out one day, took the dinghy to shore and when I came back wasn't sure I would be able to find my boat in the fog. But I did.

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Funny, but my experience rowing out into a foggy anchorage on the coast of Maine, it was the white hulls that were easiest to see first. It can be disconcerting to row up to the wrong boat in a mooring field in the fog.

At least the granite coastline is well charted and doesn't shift or shoal with every storm that goes through. Learning to navigate in the fog can be exciting and teach you a lot.

A verse from the song Spanish Ladies, "We hove our ship to with the wind from Southwest boys. We hove our ship to for to take soundings clear. It was forty-five fathoms with a white sandy bottom, so we squared our main yard and up channel did steer."
An example of old-time navigation techniques. The wind direction, the depth, and bottom composition all contribute to confirming position. I've even used the echo of an airhorn to detect nearby land.

-Will

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Techniques long lost on many current sailors and boat owners.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I just used my lead line to determine the course into a fuel dock, and checked to see if I had enough bottom to stay at the dock overnight.

Simple to do - hung the lead line at my boats depth at low tide, slowly rowed towards the dock. If the line moved, I'd check depth. Discovered i had no route into the dock, needed to wait on high tide, but at the dock i was OK.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
and the tide swings...;)
Ya get used to those a lot easier than the fog.... They can become your friend. I used to clean the bottom of my boat as the tide went out and usually could get it both cleaned and painted in one tidal cycle. Sometimes it took two.

dj

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
We spent the Summer Star Wars came out at McLoons Warf in Rockland Maine, '77, I believe. At times, we jump a short hop down to the dock, other times, it was a twelve foot climb on seaweed covered ladder rungs to get on and off the boat. Grocery shopping could be a challenge.

-Will

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
We spent the Summer Star Wars came out at McLoons Warf in Rockland Maine, '77, I believe. At times, we jump a short hop down to the dock, other times, it was a twelve foot clime on seaweed covered ladder rungs to get on and off the boat. Grocery shopping could be a challenge.

-Will
It's all about timing...

Running your dock lines is s learning curve... I once came back to my boat beginning to hang off the lines... Glad I came back when I did...

dj