Ancor line, chain and anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

I am changing most of the lines on new to me boat. Since I am the new guy on the block.(never owned one before)I have changing most the lines and what so ever needs to be done.My boat is 27 feet and I would also like to change the anchor,line and chain. What would the old salts recomened for anchoring ?. I am off the gulf coast that is pretty shallow. Any recommendations? David

Bob V

Mar 13, 2008
Catalina 42mkII Lagoon Point
Are you trying to start a fight?

Next to politics and religion, anchoring is the most contentious subject on this forum. Now 'fess up...Are you really Craig or Drago. ;-)

Jan 26, 2008
Hunter 31- Deale
Anchor Thoughts

I would suggest you chat with some seasoned sailors in your or nearby marinas. They would some thoughts on type of anchor that is best suited for your area. Then select the size that is good for 30 ft boat. Check the West Marine Catalog on anchor types. For chain at least 1/2 the length of the boat (14-15 ft in your case). But again what is the typical depth of water where you plan on anchoring. You want to be shore you can layout at least 10:1 anchor rode. Example 25ft of water you need 250 of anchor rode. I think you will learn much from some well seasoned local sailors.

L

lYCA@SHAW.CA

ANCHOR RODE

Suggest you use chain the length of your boat. Please don't put 10 to one rode to depth as your swing will eliminate ability of others to anchor in many bays that you anchor in. 3-5 rode to depth should be sufficient in most summer weather conditions. Longer lengths only warrented in heavy tide and windy conditions. Others will likely thank you as well. Allan

W

Windwalker

Type of line/rode

Think I'll weigh in on one of the least controversial parts of your question. Smaller boats typically carry a short length of chain to keep the anchor at a good digging angle & to aviod chafing from the bottom substrate. As mentioned in previous posts, the chain is typically the length of your boat (give or take). As for the remainder of your rode, 3/8" three strand nylon rope is the standard, as it provides some well needed stretch. Otherwise I'll stay away from how much of that line you'll really need, as well as type of anchor. Those are best left to folks familiar with your specific cruising grounds. Good advice from a prevoius post: ask the folks at a nearby marina who have similar boats. It should serve you well. Fair winds!

Status
Not open for further replies.