Anchoring overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Treppa

I'm planning on taking a trip this summer to a harbor in which it is likely that I may not have power (Put-in-Bay for those of you in the area). I know that use of the fridge is probably right out but how often and for how long should I run the diesel to charge the battery? Also, if any of you have stayed at Put-in-Bay what should I be aware of/look out for?

G

Gene Foraker

Put in Bay, Ohio

Hi, Steve I go to the bay all the time, it is an excellant trip. Can't answer your question about charging your batteries because we don't know your batteries, your refrigerator draw or the size of your alternator. If you are otherwise frugal of power, many people find that they can recharge the batteries in the morning while they run the engine to heat water for washing dishes and a shower. Ice is easily available by the docks and you can fetch it on the free shuttle launch. Most 30's are short of insulation in the ice box. To get a mooring ball in summer, you should arrive before noon on a friday for the weekend. Weekdays are usually no problem. Pump outs are available at the gas docks. Do not stay at the public docks unless you want drunks rafting off of you and crossing your boat all night. Stay on the mooring balls or on weekdays dock at the Crew's Nest, an exclusive private country club with docks instead of golf course. On weekdays you can buy a daily membership, but the moorings are cheaper and cooler. Any other questions?

S

Steve Treppa

Thanks for all the info Gene!

Gene, The mooring buoys were my second choice (Crew's Nest is first). My wife is little squeemish about the whole thing and I don't know if she'll like sleeping in the middle of the bay. How rough is the water in the bay generally? Do you find that there is a lot of movement overnight? Thanks for all of the great tips!

H

Hayden Watson

rocker stopper

You might consider getting a set of Rocker Stoppers for your boat. My C30 had a set of four with a small mushroom anchor for each side when I bought it. I thought they were a gimmick and didn’t plan to use them. On our first night out, (on a mooring) we had a lot of surge and the wind was opposite the current. The result was that the bob stay on the bowsprit rubbed on the mooring ball. Sleep was out of the question. I finally got up hooked the loops over the winches and dropped the stoppers overboard. The boat immediately settled back on its pendent and almost all rocking stopped. If the rocking is really bad you can set the rocker stoppers off your whisker pole on one side and the end of your boom on the other to get them out farther (I haven’t needed to do this yet). We sleep great now. You can find them in the WM catalog. Hayden Watson 1988 C30 Papillon Spokane WA

G

Gene Foraker

Put-In-Bay, Ohio

No, there is not a lot of rocking on the mooring balls. If you are not used to "anchoring" out, this is a great place to try it without worrying about your anchor. The bay is well sheltered in most winds and the motion could be worse at the docks. I find the slight motion quite restful and on a C-30 all of your hatches face forward and aft, so you will maximize the ventilation. For the price of a mooring ball you also get free transportation on the frequent shuttle boat launches. If you want to extend the vacation a little, visit Cedar Point, about 15 miles East, one of the country's best amusment parks with a beautiful marina.

C

cllint pickett

put in bay

I lived in Ohio in 1993-4. I anchored in put in bay a few times before they added moorings. In the summer time you can hear the music from the land while at anchor real well. I used a inflatable to get to shore , I dont know if they have any water taxi service. On the land there is a nice cave to explore and I recommend it if the weather is hot (nice way to cool off). The island is very commercialized compared to kelly island

G

gary

put in bay

We go to put-in-bay at lease once a summer. I have to charge my batterys twice each day for about 45 mins each time. There is a water taxi that comes with the mooring. Take a bike if you can I like to ride around the island and see other things besides the little town. Gary and Loretta c-400 hull 10 Monroe Mi gldaniels@provide.net

Status
Not open for further replies.