Anchored in Ashley River?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2008
Endeavour 32 Portland, Maine
Is Strider anchored in Ashley River?

is the attached picture using the camera on the mega dock 'Strider'?

Ed K
Isn't technology amazing? I have to go on the Internet to see that I forgot to bring in the small fender I use for the dinghy this morning. I have great scorn for people who go around with fenders hanging over the side so it bugs me when I find out that I've been doing it all day.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I sometimes do the same thing with the two small fenders I hang off the swim platform. My wife hates it when we see fenders hanging on another boat. She says they are "tacky". So we try to avoid doing it ourselves.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Isn't technology amazing? I have to go on the Internet to see that I forgot to bring in the small fender I use for the dinghy this morning. I have great scorn for people who go around with fenders hanging over the side so it bugs me when I find out that I've been doing it all day.
Careful what you do Roger - there are cameras everywhere;)

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Roger et. al.,

I sometimes do the same thing with the two small fenders I hang off the swim platform. My wife hates it when we see fenders hanging on another boat. She says they are "tacky". So we try to avoid doing it ourselves.
- - - - // - - - -

Roger,

Understand that if I was not familiar with SPOT and putting the tracking on the web I would not have been able to follow you.

I have been chastised by a moderator of 'Ask an O'Day Owner' about promoting your journey and using SPOT to follow you.

I was told most know about you and how to use SPOT.

I have a different opinion. Most know how to find their own nook on this conglomeration of web sites, but do not follw all that is available nor do they use all the resources available.

I routinely get chastised for telling people who ask questions to check the archives. I tell people who complain of odors to check the site of the queen of the head and get her book.

I knew about the camera at the Mega Dock. I had to fight others for time in trying to follow you and record pictures.

For reference purposes the SPOT post are several to many minutes behind your actual location. When you cleared the draw bridge I kept trying to see you come around the bend. But there were two others at the time looking for other boats. I finally found you after you dropped anchor.

I figured that you were waiting on the 3 p.m. opening of draw bridge and I was able to get back on line just after SPOT said you cleared. Which was in fact after you were already across from the City Marina.

Remember that they have a quaint restaurant on the second floor of the old building. If you want fancy go to Aaron's Deli across town. That is yupi place. On the other side of the battery and bay is Shem Creek and RB's. RB's is slightly fancy for dinner but o.k. for lunch. You can dock your boat on the patio dock on the creek and go in to eat.

Here is another picture that shows fender better:

Ed K

Attachments

Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
I don't have a problem with having fenders hanging over the side of an anchored vessel. In addition to protecting the topsides against your own dinghy, they protect against other people's dinghies, e.g., someone coming unannounced to say hello, request assistance or possibly even checking to see if you need assistance. I view hanging fenders as the marine equivalent of a front door mat. If I don't see them on an anchored vessel it means no one is aboard or they don't wish to be disturbed.

Now, fenders hanging over the side while under way...that's a whole 'nother issue....

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Fender etiquette?

Fender etiquette? So is it ok to let them flap and hang while on the highway? Or is that a trailer sailor faux pas?
Strider I love that heater you have. Really lengthens the season.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Dang Roger
You gots you a following
Congradulations you are a leader
And now the weight of thousands of followers weighs heavy on your sholders as you will be the one to lead them. ;-)

also, fenders are a crutch, never use the things cause I have ropes that actually work.

Jun 28, 2005
Hunter H33 2004 Mumford Cove,CT & Block Island
- - - - // - - - -

Remember that they have a quaint restaurant on the second floor of the old building. If you want fancy go to Aaron's Deli across town. That is yupi place. On the other side of the battery and bay is Shem Creek and RB's. RB's is slightly fancy for dinner but o.k. for lunch. You can dock your boat on the patio dock on the creek and go in to eat.
We liked our lunch at "Husk", we ate out on the second floor porch.

Husk photo

Lunch Photo

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
- - - - // - - - -

Roger,

Understand that if I was not familiar with SPOT and putting the tracking on the web I would not have been able to follow you.

I have been chastised by a moderator of 'Ask an O'Day Owner' about promoting your journey and using SPOT to follow you.

I was told most know about you and how to use SPOT.

I have a different opinion. Most know how to find their own nook on this conglomeration of web sites, but do not follw all that is available nor do they use all the resources available.

I routinely get chastised for telling people who ask questions to check the archives. I tell people who complain of odors to check the site of the queen of the head and get her book.

I knew about the camera at the Mega Dock. I had to fight others for time in trying to follow you and record pictures.

For reference purposes the SPOT post are several to many minutes behind your actual location. When you cleared the draw bridge I kept trying to see you come around the bend. But there were two others at the time looking for other boats. I finally found you after you dropped anchor.

I figured that you were waiting on the 3 p.m. opening of draw bridge and I was able to get back on line just after SPOT said you cleared. Which was in fact after you were already across from the City Marina.

Here is another picture that shows fender better:

Ed K

Ed, you were not "chastised" for promoting Rogers travels, but for starting multiple posts on the same topic, I also repsonded to your other thread.

Also, I removed your liks that went directly to Rogers SPOT page as he has a message to anyone following him on SPOT, which is found clicking the link in his signature, which then goes to his SPOT page.

BTW, there are only 2 Moderators ( myself and Maine Sail ) for all of the Sailboatowners forums, which includes the O'Day forum.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
also, fenders are a crutch, never use the things cause I have ropes that actually work.
How's that work if you can only tie up on one side of the boat?

We're getting new, wider, slips this year and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with a slip that's gone from 10' wide to 12' wide on a boat with an 8' beam!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
How's that work if you can only tie up on one side of the boat?

We're getting new, wider, slips this year and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with a slip that's gone from 10' wide to 12' wide on a boat with an 8' beam!
We have a situation like that and it's just great. We use fenders on both sides and have our docklines, which we lave at the dock, set to keep the boat in the center of the slip with enough slack to pull it close enough to board and get off.

A dockmate with an Ericson 32 uses fenders to depart and return, but takes them off the boat when he's docked.

We just leave ours hanging. I do a lot of singlehanded sailing, so it's less work. Means I have to keep them clean. That dockmate showed me how easy it is to clean fenders with hardware store brush cleaner. Lots easier than acetone.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I'm trying to figure out how to deal with a slip that's gone from 10' wide to 12' wide on a boat with an 8' beam!
As sheriff Brody once said in Jaws, "you're gonna need a bigger boat".

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Stu, that's what we've been doing too. Just not sure it's going to work as well in the bigger slip.

Ron, I fully expect the Admiral will suggest that soon, too. I intend to resist 'cuz I can't afford a bigger truck to pull a bigger boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.