anchorages between atlantic highlands and AC

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Hey all , I'm cruising south and looking for anchorage between Atlantic city and atlantic highlands, anybody know ofany spots Red

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Inside Barnegat is a very god anchorage. BUT, Barnegat can be VERY exciting in the right conditions. If there is a swell from the NE, it will have breaking waves on your beam! Plus the navigation is very tricky, make sure you understand the route in.
I never bother with the inlets on NJ anymore. I wait patiently for good weather and motor if I have to 24 hours to Cape May or Cape Henlopen.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If you’re going on the outside then gettinthere said it. If you’re going on the inside you have a few more options. Tices shoal a few miles north of the Barnegat Inlet area is a popular spot. There are also a couple of coves on the northern and southern side of Forked River that could work well, especially the one on the northern side if the wind is from the north or northwest. (The one on the south side gets a little shallow, forcing you to anchor close to the channel and get wakes.)

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Inside Barnegat is a very god anchorage. BUT, Barnegat can be VERY exciting in the right conditions. If there is a swell from the NE, it will have breaking waves on your beam! Plus the navigation is very tricky, make sure you understand the route in.
I never bother with the inlets on NJ anymore. I wait patiently for good weather and motor if I have to 24 hours to Cape May or Cape Henlopen.
Same for us and we came through just last week. We did stop at Atlantic City with wind from the west and waves less than 1 foot making it easy with a flood tide. There is dredging in and around the harbor.

All U Get

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
If doing an overnight, Sandy Hook to Cape May is 24 hours at 6k. So no need to stop at Atlantic City unless you want to. The anchorage kinda sucks.

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
Thanks guys, I figured as much, and I am going to depart from highlands early hopefully to reach A/C in daylight and decide whether or not to anchor or straight to cape may, conditions will dictate . Red

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
A general note: While the depths reported at mean low (or higher tides, if you're taking a "shot" at calculating them) are a FLAT water.

If you have an 18" wake (when measured from the top to the bottom -- vs. the "neutral axis") you're going to go from say 7' of "expected" depth to 6'-3". A little wind or swell -- or some power boat passing you -- and you're going to take a slam.

With 4' waves, you can go from an 8' depth to less than 6' actual every 3 -5 seconds as they pass.

I know that sailboats get in and out of that inlet. My dear (and departed) buddy, Jon Eisberg used to take his boat from his home up the way inside there. But Jon, was very careful and had been sailing those waters since he was a "kid".