anchor???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john12527

My kids like to jump in and swim. I have found that it is harder on the 170 than on the Flying Scott we used to rent. The scott required a bit more wind to push it around (at 1300 lbs), the 170 will blow down wind with the sails completely doused in almost no wind. Any suggestions??? I am thinking about a small anchor, I have no idea what size I would need or what type, we have most sandy bottoms (no, I mean in the lakes we sail!!!). Thanks, John

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Small Danforth

I went through a bunch of small boat anchors for my dinghys and found that a a small Danforth worked best for me and was lightweight and easy to store and retrieve. Rick D.

M

Mike D

Danforth

I have a very small danforth that I have used for a trot (crabbing) line. It holds well in most bottoms, it is very light weight for its holding power, stows fairly easy and is very versatile. The marine supplies carry a small collapsible umbrella type dinghy anchor. I am not sure that it is trustworthy enough to feel comfortable swimming away the boat. We were recently in BVI on a vacation and had a giant Simpson Lawrence (plow with the knuckle). It didn't even dent the sandy bottom there. I am sharing that story because a plow anchor is alleged to be one of the best for sand. If the sand is not real tightly packed, I think the danforth will grip and therefore hold very well. IMHO for what it is worth, Happy swimming, Mike D p.s. I am happy to be enlightened, as I rest assured the other viewers of your post are , that you all perform due diligence in rinsing out your swimwear. !!!!!

M

Mike D

LOL

I am laughing because I was too wordy to beat Rick to the punch !!!! lol Mike D

ChuckF

May 4, 2004
- - MA
depends on the bottom

I have a small Danforth for ocean sailing/swimming and a mushroom "river" anchor for lakes. The danforth got stuck too many times in submerged branches in the lake. The folding grapnel anchors are useless.

gball

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 170 Alachua, FL
Danforth w/chain

John, I just debuted use of an 8# Danforth, 12' of chain and 150' of rode on my 170 this weekend. It fits pretty well in the forward storage area. The Danforth design and chain hold really tight. Probably works for most bottoms with this light of a boat. As we swam around the boat, I felt the rode just below the surface and could feel the chain absorbing shock and pull. I recommend you use even a 6# anchor. The 8 lb. is a little bulky, but it's a little late for that now! Enjoy! Mike G. Alachua, FL

J

john12527

thanks guys

I bought a #6 danforth yesterday. Haven't tried it out yet. I'll let you know how it goes. John

Status
Not open for further replies.