anchor windlass

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

barney

has anyone added an electric windlass to a 35.5? i need help with a solution. deck seems thin, no chainfall in the locker. i currently have 50' of chain and 300' of nylon rode.

F

Franklin

Add your own?

Is there room to add your own plate (lay down a layer of glass, then a plate, then a layer of glass or two)?

C

Carl

Manual windlass?

You might consider a manual windlass? We use a manual one on our 1987 h40 with 100 ft of chain and 200 ft of nylon. You still need room rode to fall and a secure spot to mount it. I backed up the foredeck with 3/4" marine plywood, then trimmed the wood so it looked attractive in the V-berth.

Jun 21, 2004
- - Westbrook, CT
Check photo forums

I put one in my 336. Search the photo forums for "windlass". There are lots of ideas in there, and my installation as well. I built a very sturdy wood frame in the anchor locker to support the windlass, then gelcoated it white. Then, I bought a piece of aluminum tubing to run from the windlass, through the floor of the anchor locker, down to the space underneath the vee berth, where there's enough room for a chain rode to stack. I glassed this tube in to make the anchor locker watertight. I bought a windlass with a capstan, mounted it on the wood frame and cut a hole in the anchor locker door for the captstan to stick up through. If I had it to do over, I would have passed on the capstan and mounted the whole thing down inside the anchor locker on the constructed frame. The capstan has been very useful (going up the mast is a breeze now) but dealing with the modifed anchor locker door was a huge hassle. Not worth it. In the 35.5, there might be a little room just forward of the vee-berth bulkhead, if so you won't have to have a tube running by where your toes should go. The 336 is quite a bit smaller in front. Others have done well using PVC pipe instead of aluminum for the hawsepipe. I thought that the chain might damage the PVC, but I think that PVC has been proved by others to be servicable. Oh yeah, I had to drain the chain locker to the bilge, Hunter just thought this area was lost space and didn't do this. Good luck, it's a big job, and you'll end up with lots of new skills. Figure the windlass will be half the cost if you buy from a good source (Imtra on eBay comes to mind). The rode and electrical cables will constitute most of the remaining cost. Paul sv Escape Artist h336

C

Claude

35.5 Windlass

Hello Barney, We purchased our boat, 1991 35.5, with this power winch mounted on deck. We have a backing plate inside the cabin for the 4 bolts. Everything is covered by a small teak cover. Probably not the "ideal " setup but efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.