Anchor Windlass

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charlie

I am still procastinating about installing an anchor windlass on my 1985 Hunter 34. I have seen one vertical manual windlass installed on a Hunter 34 but was not motivated enough to emulate it. Has anyone installed an electric windlass on a Hunter 34? How did you install it? Was there enough drop in the anchor well for the chain to fall? How did you install the wiring? How did you install the windlass and how was the deck reinforced? There is not very much information in the archives. Charlie

M

Michael Duff

Mindless About Windless

Yes, I've lost my mind when using my windlass on our Hunter 40.5....you are right on to consider the chain drop area...without enough drop the chain will back up into the windless and jam or push the chain out of the dog on the windless and whaalaaa! your lookin gooooood!!! in your anchorage!! Two things-- 1. You can have a stainless bracket or shelf constructed which will protrude your windless out over the well enough to have better anchor drop.... 2. You can ensure that the windlass you purchase has a feed through dog system that will handle chain and rope and if your really nice to yourself reversing.....yaaaahhh! I have fastened a piece of teflon under the windlass which helps 'carry' the chain into the well.... You must admit a windlass is nice especially when your buried 3.5 feet into a nice mud/clay bottom...but if you want to stay looking like Arnold keep on with the armstrong version.... Cheers Mike Duff Orion Hunter 40.5

Status
Not open for further replies.