Anchor windlass for Hunter 340

Nov 27, 2013
S2 9.2A Northport, MI
Anybody ever put an anchor windlass on a Hunter 340. Right now I’ve mounted the windlass in the anchor locker on the pad provided. The chain drops straight into the v-berth so I’ve arranged 2 inch plastic pipe to direct the rode in to the locker. This works badly because someone need to be there to pull the rode from the plastic pipe and into the anchor well.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Depending on the year of your boat, the installation I used on my boat may work as you mentioned a mounting pad on the pedestal in the locker.

Can't go any further until we see a complete set of photos of the locker.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Note most windlass makers ( as in this page from the Lewmar install manual ) state.

There must be sufficient vertical fall

DE3C103A-3C59-468C-9258-1AEE9CDEBB8B.jpeg

But that has not stopped owners.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I had a factory installed windlass in the anchor locker of my 2000 H340. It worked well and I never had a problem with the chain.
Anchor locker.JPG

Nov 27, 2013
S2 9.2A Northport, MI
I had a factory installed windlass in the anchor locker of my 2000 H340. It worked well and I never had a problem with the chain.View attachment 203483
Thanks, John, but isn’t the anchor ro
I had a factory installed windlass in the anchor locker of my 2000 H340. It worked well and I never had a problem with the chain.View attachment 203483
Thanks, John, but isn’t the anchor rode supposed to drop straight down into the anchor locker as it exits the bottom of the windlass?

Jun 4, 2004
Regarding my factory installed windlass, as in the photo above. I had about twenty+ feet of chain and then a rope rode.The chain always just dropped down onto the lower shelf and/or lower anchor locker and never gave me a problem. Of course, I was at the windlass to press the up or down buttons as the anchor was being retreived and could clear any problem.

Jan 4, 2006
The chain always just dropped down onto the lower shelf and/or lower anchor locker and never gave me a problem.

Can't really see how the chain drops from the gypsy, perhaps is has been pulled clear of the gypsy in your photo.

Yes, the chain causes no problems once you are accustomed to it. I only have about 2-3" drop once I have hauled in 400 ft. of nylon and then 50 ft. of chain. Just a case of continuously sweeping the chain back and fort to the side and everything comes in nicely.

The only time you need a MINIMUM of 12" drop is if no one ever looks inside the anchor locker.

Jun 4, 2004
Again about my factory installed windlass. When at anchor, I never left the anchor rode on the windlass but secured it to the large cleat shown in the photo. To start the anchor retrieval process, I would wrap the rope rode around the gypsy with some of it hanging over the edge of the windlass platform. As I raised the anchor the rode and then chain leaving the gypsy would just spill over the edge of the windlass platform shelf onto the next lower shelf and then eventually down into the anchor locker. Gravity and the inertia of the moving chain had a lot to do with this and I was there, operating the windlass, to clear any problem. I had this boat for ten years and never had any problems with this operation. It was my habit not to run the windlass continuously, especially when it was under a high load. I retrieved the anchor rode in short busts, waiting for the boat to glide forward, taking some strain off the rode. I did this to partially reduce wear and strain on the windlass motor and to spare its brushes.

Jan 4, 2006
We have almost identical setups except for the "next lower shelf" which I don't have.

1648075436132.png

Also, it looks like you are able to discharge your rode horizontally while mine comes out vertically.

When at anchor, I never left the anchor rode on the windlass but secured it to the large cleat shown in the photo.
When I'm about to give up for the day, I leave the rode in the gypsy and take a wrap on the cleat with the rode which is ahead of the windlass. The rode won't come off the windlass as there is always 100 ft. or more in the lower well. Even if we need all of the rode out, I wouldn't take it off as it's a real chore to feed it back in to the gypsy.

It was my habit not to run the windlass continuously, especially when it was under a high load.
When I first installed the windlass, I put the maximum load on it by letting out all 450 ft. in 1,000+ ft. of water and then pulled the whole thing in without a rest. The motor was in the open so I could feel it at the end of the pull and it's surface temperature never got over body temperature.

1648076240499.png

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
. I retrieved the anchor rode in short busts, waiting for the boat to glide forward, taking some strain off the rode.
That technique while sounding good has a flaw. It sounds like you are still using the windlass to pull the boat forward.

A better way, in my experience, is to power the boat forward steering it towards the anchor, as you draw in the rode and chain with the windlass. The windlass is just retrieving the line and chain. It is not pulling the boat through the water. When you reach the anchor, if it is deep in the mud, tie off the chain to a cleat and let the rise and fall of the boat break the anchor free of the bottom.

You reduce the motor strain and prolong the Life of your windlass.

Jan 4, 2006
A better way, in my experience, is to power the boat forward steering it towards the anchor, as you draw in the rode and chain with the windlass. The windlass is just retrieving the line and chain.
I think you'll also find that info in most windlass operating and maintenance manuals. Treat it like an Armstrong windlass.

Nov 27, 2013
S2 9.2A Northport, MI
Regarding my factory installed windlass, as in the photo above. I had about twenty+ feet of chain and then a rope rode.The chain always just dropped down onto the lower shelf and/or lower anchor locker and never gave me a problem. Of course, I was at the windlass to press the up or down buttons as the anchor was being retreived and could clear any problem.
John, You mention a "lower shelf and or a lower anchor locker". Are you saying there is an upper and lower anchor locker? In your picture I still don't see how the anchor rode gets from the windlass to the locker.