Anchor well question??

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
I finally got to pulling out all anchor chain and rope rode to inspect and clean this past weekend. All chain and rope rode were in good order, but I noticed that the drain hole in the anchor well, is about 50mm ( 2 inches) above the bottom of the well. In discussion with friends on our marina, I found that a Princess 50 and a Riviera 42 also have the same basic issue- the drain is about 2>3 inches above the floor of the anchor well- surely , there must be a reason for this- does anyone know what that reason might be? I made a false floor with plenty of drain holes so that the rode will not sit in water,

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
eianm, ours is about 2" above the bottom as well. Not entirely sure why that is other that a mud & sediment collector. I also made a false bottom for ours but ended up taking it out when I split our locker for a second rode.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
It may simply be because there is not enough room to run the hose to the drain through-hull. When I made my anchor well deeper, I had to reconfigure the hose to the through-hull and create a sort of P-trap under the anchor well floor. Works well but I need to winterize with antifreeze when preparing the boat for the winter.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I have this situation also on our 44DS. I think it is just manufacturing tolerance. They need to be sure that drain is above the anchor locker deck, so they install the hole with tolerance. Better too high than too low. I also installed a false deck so rode stays dry (or damp really-nothing is completely dry in that locker). Works fine.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Elian, we have two on ours. One about an inch above the bottom, port side scupper drain and another further up, starboard side drain.

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Terry- yes, we also have the 2 drains and i am now pretty sure this 2" odd difference is so that mud and rust scale cant clog up the drain hole so easily.

PJL

Apr 22, 2014
Hunter 42 Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
I am owner number 6 of my Passage 42 and noticed the same thing after pulling everything out to add chain. The simple solution for me was to have that unused rust and rot causing space filled w/ fiberglass. That was 6 years ago and it has been working fine.