Anchor Wash-down Pump

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hello All,
So my pump was leaking and 3 bolts had fused so a rebuild was looking ugly at best. Also, the pump installed was listed as potable water pump not suitable for salt. I am in the market now for a 5 gpm salt water wash-down pump for my anchor and rode. What are the most reliable and cost friendly (not to be stupid)... Johnson, Jabsco, shurflo, attwood, etc..... or are they all basically the same (ha).

Thanks!

Greg

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I can recommend the Shurflo pumps. Have never used the others though..

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Not all the same. You want a simple run-dry diaphragm style pump which is rated as a bilge pump so it is corrosion resistent.
I have a friend who used an actual bilge pump. He attached a hose and nozzle and then simply dropped over the bow, he had a switch wired into the waterproof wiring and then hauled it up when he was done, it lived in the anchor locker.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Greg, no intent here to throw sea water on your anchor wash down pump, but what has worked for me over the years is a two gallon plastic bucket with a lanyard. Other than that, nothing more to offer.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have been using a good wash down pump from I think Amazon and priced around best price for a good pressure pump.
Sure bucket is ok but I get a lot of mud on my Mantus anchor and as we pull up the anchor and wife starts motoring out of a crowded anchorage or maybe a windy day I really like washing
the anchor as we motor out of anchorage with out any problems and love a wash down pump for a few years now which works really great for us.
Nick

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I believe every boat supply catalog has wash down pumps and kits in them. Just choose the gph you want in your price range. Try Defender for a price reference.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Yes..... I looked at defender and all the other resources for wash down pumps. Also read the reviews for all the different makes. 6 different makers of 5 GPM pumps. Just looking for input from actual real world usage....... sort of like heads jabsco gets thumbs down raritan thumps up.......

Thanks!
Greg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Yes..... I looked at defender and all the other resources for wash down pumps. Also read the reviews for all the different makes. 6 different makers of 5 GPM pumps. Just looking for input from actual real world usage....... sort of like heads Jabsco gets thumbs down raritan thumps up.......

Thanks!
Greg
Remember, these (washdown pumps), unlike most bilge or water system pumps, tend to be continuous duty pumps rather than intermittent duty pumps. A bit sturdier in construction and wiring, which is why they cost a bit more.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
I have a Groco Heavy Duty Positive Displacement Vane Pump - 12v. Part SPO-60-N 12V. Easy to fix and bullet proof

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have Jasco washdown. It really gets the mud off the anchor (at least when the temp is >30 and I use it).

Les

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
I don’t mind spending to get a pump that will perform and last. The prior pump was a shurflow but specified for potable water and I assume not designed for harsh salt water usage. To add insult to injury, the p/o installed the pump right next to the bow thruster.... so when it began to fail, salt water would spray in the compartment...... yes relocation is on the table as well......

Thanks
Greg

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You’ll need a plan to winterize your washdown pump, frozen pumps end up being leaky spraying pumps.

I have mine set up to be a forward bilge pump, an extension intake hose can be run to the bilge. That is also a convenient method for slurping up some AF during winterization.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Yes I have been winterizing the pump since I got the boat.... Simple just to remove the hose and put into bottle of AF.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@NYSail It seems you could just drain the pump. Open up both ends and the pump body... Nothing but air inside. Wouldn't that also solve the problem?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Indeed yes..... always have run AF through everything as I fear a frozen and ruptured hose. however i am evolving with winterization methods. This past year I blew out my fresh water lines.....

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
@NYSail It seems you could just drain the pump. Open up both ends and the pump body... Nothing but air inside. Wouldn't that also solve the problem?
There is no way to completely drain a diaphragm pump other than disassembly, the check valves retain water. Once the valves freeze up the pump doesn’t have a way to relieve pressure - the case or hard fittings will split. So an install needs to be easy to AF if you live in the freeze zones.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Wash-down pump is probably the easiest of all systems, unclip the hose from the pump to the thru-hull, insert hose with pump fitting, insert into gallon of AF, run pump until gallon gone and pink spraying out of hose. In spring hook back up to thru-hull and spray until clear water.