Anchor Set up for Columbia 28

tcul

Mar 14, 2012
Cal 1-30 Honolulu
I have one of the older C-28s. It has a weird anchor set up. There is an anchor locker below deck at the bow, just past the V-berth, but only a deck plate connecting the locker to above deck. Of course, I can't find a rope pipe the same size as the deck plate. I hate to cut out a hole in the deck just for a pipe for the chain and rope.

So how the heck to set up the anchor, chain, rope for a quick anchoring? Right now, I have the anchor on the bow, and the chain and rope below in the locker, through the deck plate openning with the cover off. Kind of sucks when it rains and when underway.

I wonder what the designer had in mind for a proper anchoring set up.

Thanks, TC, Hawaii

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello TC

Would a dorade vent (just the curved part) fit into the deck plate? I have seen them on the bow with chain or anchor line lead down through them. Turning the opening facing aft would keep most water out.

A smaller cover might be a vent like is used for an engine compartment ventilator.

Best wishes, Phil

tcul

Mar 14, 2012
Cal 1-30 Honolulu
Hello TC

Would a dorade vent (just the curved part) fit into the deck plate? I have seen them on the bow with chain or anchor line lead down through them. Turning the opening facing aft would keep most water out.

A smaller cover might be a vent like is used for an engine compartment ventilator.

Best wishes, Phil
Phil,

Thanks, thought had crossed my mind. The deck plate is 4" not including flange

TC

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
it sounds like you need to install a hawse pipe for the chain/rode to pass thru.... they usually have a relief in them so the cap can still be installed when the chain is out.

with the deck plate as you have it, you need to disconnect the chain from the anchor everytime so the chain can be lowered into the locker and the deck sealed...

OR... maybe the locker is a dedicated sealed rode locker and it has a drain in it to outside of the hull, in which case it wouldnt necessarily need to be closed on top all the time....

search hawse pipe....

tcul

Mar 14, 2012
Cal 1-30 Honolulu
it sounds like you need to install a hawse pipe for the chain/rode to pass thru.... they usually have a relief in them so the cap can still be installed when the chain is out.

with the deck plate as you have it, you need to disconnect the chain from the anchor everytime so the chain can be lowered into the locker and the deck sealed...

OR... maybe the locker is a dedicated sealed rode locker and it has a drain in it to outside of the hull, in which case it wouldnt necessarily need to be closed on top all the time....

search hawse pipe....
Here is a diagram of the boat:

http://www.columbia-yachts.com/col28/col28diagLate.jpg

I'm not sure if it's a sealed dedicated rode locker. Maybe it is as the boat was originally designed with just the 4" deck plate above the locker.

I thought about setting it up so I just keep the chain below, and hook it to the anchor each when needed. I could have a hook attached to the bottom of the deck plate. Problem is, anchor chains are supposed to be connect with a D shacked that is moused. Not exactly easy to unhook in a hurry. I guess I could use a snap shackle.

Thanks

Mar 20, 2012
I dont know the boat, and cant tell by the diagram, but you should be able to look down into the empty locker and see if it is a dedicated tank with a drain, or if it is a modified space and has an open bottom and drains to the bilge... chain and rode can hold a lot of water that will drain out as it sets in the locker....

some anchor/chain/rode lockers have a drain that drain to the bilge, but these can be modified to drain out a thru-hull fitting, which is a better option..

tcul

Mar 14, 2012
Cal 1-30 Honolulu
I dont know the boat, and cant tell by the diagram, but you should be able to look down into the empty locker and see if it is a dedicated tank with a drain, or if it is a modified space and has an open bottom and drains to the bilge... chain and rode can hold a lot of water that will drain out as it sets in the locker....

some anchor/chain/rode lockers have a drain that drain to the bilge, but these can be modified to drain out a thru-hull fitting, which is a better option..
I looked under there today and vacuumed it out. It's all one space from the rode locker to the front of the V-berth where there is a bulkhead. So it's a dedicated space. No drain. There is a GRP encased water tank in that space.

There is no bilge running the length of the boat like my old Cal 30. Just a space above the fin keel where the keel bolts are. I try to keep that bone dry. The dedicated space from the rode locker to the end of the V-berth does not connect to the bilge. If water gets in, you just pump it out I guess.

Thanks TC

Mar 20, 2012
yea, some lockers dont have a drain... but one can be installed. a couple of different ways to install a drain in the bottom of the "tank", and then drain it into an existing thru-hull with a "t"...

you can either install a thru-hull fitting in the bottom of the locker or drill a hole and epoxy a fitting to the exterior side of the hole that you can screw a nipple into it...

in my opinion, the hawse pipe install would be secondary to the drain install...

Aug 5, 2014
Columbia 28 MK II Anacortes, WA
New to the site, and just saw this thread--thought I'd reply briefly in case the mystery hasn't been solved. I also have an old C-28.

We use a cowl to cover the deck plate and feed the anchor chain through to the locker. We use one like this: http://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/full/120808.jpg

As for the bilge, it's hard to tell, but the locker *should* drain to the forward, smaller bilge compartment just starboard of the door to the head. The fiberglass construction in the v-birth has the four compartments: (1) water tank, (2/3) two outboard storage areas (one on either board), (4) a forward storage area just aft of the chain locker. Underneath all of these, there is a very small amount of open space, and the chain locker has a small gap at the bottom, allowing water to flow down the sides of the hull to the centerline, and then aft to the bilge.

At least, that's how it is on my C28! Hope that helps.