anchor rode

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steve

How much chain and what size is suggested for a catalina 30'. I will putting in sand bottom mostly ( lake Michigan) and use a 14" danforth anchor?

D

Dave

Anchor

Hi Steve: I have a Catalina 30 MkIII, and sail in Northern Lake Michigan. We cruise and anchor out a lot. I have my primary anchor consists of a 33lb Horizon Claw (Bruce Knockoff) 20ft of chain and 250 ft of 1/2" New England 3 strand. My secondary anchor is a 22lb West Marine Traditional with 15ft of chain and 200ft of 1/2" New England 3 strand. This anchor is on a rail mount on the port side of the bow pulpit and the claw anchor rests on the starboard roller and extends back to the anchor locker. The rodes are separated by a wooden divider in the locker. I know this is overkill, but I sleep like a baby on the hook! Go to the West Marine catalog and look in the anchor/docking section for the West Advisor on anchors. They give some good advice there. The Danforth style anchors are excellent in hard sand, not so good in other type of bottoms, such as rocky or weedy. Good luck Dave S/V Westwind

F

Frederikus

Bruce it

The original anchors of most boats are what I call 'Lunch-Anchors'. I use the maybe bit overweighted 20Kg Bruce with 20 meters of chain, and slept never better. (in any bottum) Regards and fair winds, Frederikus on sailmalaysia@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.