Anchor rode- no locker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
So, my "78" C27 does not have a anchor locker. At this time I'm not interested in putting a hawspipe into the bow to use the cubbie-hole as a locker.
Does anyone have a, trick, bag, or gizmo, to carry the anchor rode on the foredeck? A Home Depot bucket or milk crate seems a little crude!
Thanks in advance,
Joel H.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
I think you'll find that "canvas bag" will be the most popular suggestion. See my thread in the Catalina 22 forum.

GT

Mar 8, 2012
Catalina 22 trailer sailor
There's one thing that surprises me about these Catalinas or at least mine, there are no bow chocks. My father had an over-sized anchor on our power boat and in order for me to drop and retrieve anchor, we tied the bitter end of the anchor rode to the port side stern cleat and ran the rope up to the port bow chock and back to the stern. When deploying the anchor which sat beside the engine cover in the stern, we dropped it from the stern and payed out enough rode for the boat to drift back and set the anchor. Then to retrieve it, dad cranked the boat and drove up as I pulled in the rode, the anchor had a slip ring that rode up the shank and as we drove past the anchor, she slipped out bottom substrate with ease and I just pulled it right on up, over and in the boat.

I intend to use this same basic configuration myself except using the port bow cleat instead of a bow chock.

Mar 8, 2012
There's one thing that surprises me about these Catalinas or at least mine, there are no bow chocks. My father had an over-sized anchor on our power boat and in order for me to drop and retrieve anchor, we tied the bitter end of the anchor rode to the port side stern cleat and ran the rope up to the port bow chock and back to the stern. When deploying the anchor which sat beside the engine cover in the stern, we dropped it from the stern and payed out enough rode for the boat to drift back and set the anchor. Then to retrieve it, dad cranked the boat and drove up as I pulled in the rode, the anchor had a slip ring that rode up the shank and as we drove past the anchor, she slipped out bottom substrate with ease and I just pulled it right on up, over and in the boat.

I intend to use this same basic configuration myself except using the port bow cleat instead of a bow chock.

Attaching a graphic so you can see the type of anchor with the slip ring we had.

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bow chocks

I cringe when I see those. Lots of our dockmates have Pearsons and they have two bow cleats placed well inboard and then to bow chocks. Some only have one deck cleat and then two chocks.

I see those chocks as "the perfect place to play like a big SAW on your lines." I favor going directly from a cleat to the dock.

Your idea of using the bow cleat to drop the anchor from the cockpit is good and will work without a chock.

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I figured a bag would be the most logical answer. Although Greggs technique sounds interesting because I solo a lot.
Thanks again,
Joel H.

Mar 8, 2012
I see your point of chafing in the Chocks. The edge mounted cleats are the best option.

I learn so much on these forums!!!

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Fwiw, I keep my rode, and the anchors for that matter, in rubbermaid totes. The claw anchors anyway. The danforth lunch hook and it's rode are in a burlap bag.

Might not with on your larger boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.