Anchor locker

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
That's even better. You will need multiple students to help raise the mast :)

Sam

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I want to compliment Sam on the awesome job he's done on the anchor locker, but somehow this thread has gone off in a new direction, a bit askew... Oh well... great job Sam - love to see good work like that!!!

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Consider a boom kicker instead of a topping lift if you boat configuration allows for it. You won't be disappointed. Great work!

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Due to the pop top I don't think we can use a boom kicker but it would be sweet. The top goes forward and stops against the aft side of the boom. I would have to disconnect the kicker to raise the top and then the boom would have no support. We don't even have a vang but I have my eye out for one and will pick one up and add it when I find a deal.
I had a bit of delay getting started last night as I had to dispatch a 5 foot rat snake that had made it's way into the garage. I was just getting into the boat when I saw movement along the purlin of the back wall. Once my eyes adjusted to the light and I saw him I knew I had better "remove" him before you know who got home or I was in deep trouble. With the snake situation properly handled, I was able to get back to work.
I am almost done with the anchor locker. I applied the last coat of mat and epoxy to the inside of it last night. I will add the thin rubber mat and drill the drain hole tonight. That will just leave the topside work as in re painting the antiskid area gray and painting the hatch cover to match.
I also installed a shelf in the cabin under the port side bench seat back area. It was essentially wasted space and now with the tent top to store I though that would be a good use of the space. I cut another piece of 1/4" ply and glassed both sides with several coats then epoxied it in place. I just need to add the carpet and it will be done. It is actually a larger area than I had thought it would be and I think there will also be room for my fly rod and other fishing gear there. No more digging it out of the hole below that area.
I also added a drip guard to the bow hatch opening. Our hatch had this nasty habit of dripping water down on us at about 5 am. The lower edge of the top extended past the lip of the opening which would allow the water to wrap around the edge and drip into the cabin. Very annoying as we liked sleeping with the hatch open. I added a piece of hdpe that I cut to shape. Now when the water drips off the cover it will hit the hdpe and then run off to the side and down the gutter. I just need to sew up the screen for that opening and we are good to go.
With 10 days till we launch I am starting to think I will have it all wrapped up and ready to go. At least the important projects. Cindy has two projects to do yet, a new divider curtain and the cover for the table top cushion. Between me an you, I don't think they are going to be ready for launch day LOL! In her defense, she has been working late everyday dealing with year end testing at school, so I will let it slide.

Sam

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Well, at least I thought I was done with the epoxy. I drilled the drain hole last night and discovered that the hull was cored with something at the bow. I drilled the hole down at a angle about 2 inches aft of the leading edge of the bow. I started out with a 1/16" bit then worked my way up to a 1/4" bit. After seeing there was a core material I went ahead and opened the hole up to 3/8" and then filled it with epoxy and will redrill the drain through the epoxy tonight. I did not think it was a wood core but I did not want to take the chance. It was not that big of issue to fill it and re drill it.
In the process of drilling the drain hole I got stuck by several thread of glass that were sticking up out of the epoxy along the seam between the hull and the bottom of the locker. After pulling barbs out of my fingers 3 times I gave up and sanded the edges with 60 grit paper and sucked out all the dust. Then I coated the edge seams again just to seal them up. No more sharp needles ready to stab the first unsuspecting hand that enters the locker.
I moved inside and re installed the carpet on the interior walls of the hull and added carpet to the interior sides of the locker. I don't think it turned out too badly
Anchor locker carpet.jpg

The best part was the 3M fast tack spray adhesive in a confined area. Cindy would have loved to have been there for that LOL Once the cushions go in you can't see that the carpet is a little short at the bottom of the bow point. Must have been that way when I put it in the first time as it went back in the same way. My plan is to make a mount to hang our tablet on the vertical wall of the locker so we can watch movies at night on the hook in the v birth.
Cindy climbed aboard when she got home and was really happy with how it turned out. She wasn't real excited when I started this project as I don't think I did a good enough job explaining to her how it was going to work. But once she saw we did not loose any real usable room and gained a place to put the tablet she really liked it. Plus she doesn't have to listen to me gripe about dragging the anchor forward anymore. Talk about a win/win for her!
I moved aft and finished up the new pop top tent storage shelf. More spray glue, it was a good night ;-).
new shelf.jpg

I was out of the original carpet I used on the boat so I got something close. It is so hidden this will probably be the last time anyone sees it so I wasn't too worried if it was a shade off. This was essentially wasted space so being able to turn it into usable space was a real plus. There is a identical area on the other side but we actually use that space to store Cindy's inflatable paddleboard so no shelf on that side. This area is almost 30" deep so there will be plenty of room for the tent top, my fishing gear(take down fly rod in a case) and other light items. Anytime you can get additional storage capacity in a small living area it is always a good thing.
Case in point would be this area forward of the keel that I made a opening to. I wanted to install our transducer forward of the keel, even though it will really probably not benefit us that much. There was a opening under the hull liner but no way for me to reach it. So I cut a access panel out of the bottom of the storage area just forward of the potty area. Not only will I be able to install the transducer there I will also be able to store 6 to 7 one gallon bottles of water plus several bags of wine. I had been glassing up a lid retention lip in the shop as I mixed up epoxy for other projects and bonded it to the underside of the hull liner last night.
clamped.jpg

You can never have enough clamps. I still pick up a handful each time they go on sale for .99 at Home Depot. I think that about does it for all the hidden areas in the boat we can stash stuff as I can't seem to find anymore although I am still looking.
I was able to remove the clamps from the forward hatch drip guard last night and I think it will work out fine. I still need to Dremel a groove off of each side of the guard on the back side so the water runs down into the gutter instead of around the guard and then make the screen. I feel a lot better about being able to sleep through the night now with new rudder gudgeon block bushings and now the drip guard. If it wasn't the banging of the rudder on the pintles it was the Chinese water torture dripping down off the hatch lid and onto us at 5 am waking us up.
drip guard.jpg

After seeing this pic I wish now I would have painted the underside of the bow hatch when I painted the boat. As you can see there were several cracks that I repaired on that hatch.
Today is a rain day here so I will be working inside sewing up a storage bag for the tent top and trimming all the extra off the seams of the top with the hot knife I made. Our new forestay cable came in yesterday so we can step the mast again this weekend and finally get the furler all rigged up. I will order new sheets and halyards Monday and we will be ready to head to the lake come next Saturday. It has been a long spring full of boat projects. I know we are both are really looking forward to hoisting our new sails and enjoying all the upgrades we have made.

Sam

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
First rate and inspiring !

When you drill the drain hole in the bow... might consider tapping that with a small piece of black PVC pipe and glue that in place and cut it flush with the bow stem on both sides.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Had then been more room and a thicker hull I could have done that but by filling a oversized hole with epoxy then drilling back through the epoxy smaller than the filled hole it will essentially be a lined drain hole. Do the same thing on wood kayaks for the carrying handle lines.
The way it was I had a heck of a time getting my right angle drill head to the correct angle to drill this hole from the inside out. Had I been thinking I could have taken my air powered 90 degree drill home as it is much smaller and would have made things much easier.

Sam

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
Fantastic job! Enjoyed reading your write-up! I always enjoy seeing and reading about mods - Thanks!

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Flyn, next time you are at an office supply, check out a box of the blue-ish spring steel clamps. I'm sure they are cheaper. I got them for holding canvas on tubing to make bimini and dodger.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Ron,
I use those spring clamps too. They are pretty handy to have around. One can never have enough clamps. Now if I could just find a extra wide pair of parallel clamps. I have a special project I need a set for but the opening on all of them that I find do not open far enough.

Sam

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Ron,
I use those spring clamps too. They are pretty handy to have around. One can never have enough clamps. Now if I could just find a extra wide pair of parallel clamps. I have a special project I need a set for but the opening on all of them that I find do not open far enough.
Sam
Sam,
Once the width gets too much, I switch from Spring clamps to Quick clamps.
Quick Clamp.jpg

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I have several quick clamps too. I need the deeper throat of a parrallel clamp with a reach of about 16". I will figure out something if I have to make longer threaded rods for the parallel clamps.

Sam

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Well, the anchor locker is finished! I installed the hatch lid with a big bead of butyl and trimmed off what squeezed out
finished lid.jpg

then tucked the bow anchor, chain, rode, and bow docklines away in their new home.
Finished 1.jpg

I put a thin rubber mat down on floor of the locker to help cushion thins a bit as the epoxy could crack if I accidently dropped the anchor in the locker.
I finished up the inside by making a very simple mount for our 10' Fire HD tablet
finished inside.jpg

It will be nice to be able to curl up in the V birth and watch a movie or two while we wait for the rain to pass or the skeeters to go back to bed. As usual I tried to make things way harder than needed. I had this grand plan for the mount where the tablet would slide down a track routered into strips of wood. Well it hit the top of the cabin so that one did not work. Then simplicity won out. I simply routered a groove in strip of scrap for the tablet to rest in then positioned it so that it is a very snug fit for the tablet between the cabin top and the strip of wood. It holds it very securely and I was done in like 5 minutes after I had already wasted an hour on my first idea.
We had originally hoped to take the boat over to the slip this weekend but we had storms all weekend and our new sheets and halyards are on the way so we decided to try again this weekend. It was raining when Cindy got home so we climbed up into the boat and tried out the fire mount. We watched a movie in the boat while it rained outside. We woke up a few hours later from a nice little nap LOL. I think were really going to like the new anchor locker and entertainment center :)

Last edited: