Anchor Locker

Sep 27, 2023
O’Day 25 Decatur, AL
I bought an O’Day 25 this week. The owner needed to sell it to transfer to another job out of state but sold it after being given it by an aunt who already moved. He didn’t know what kind of a boat it was until I pointed it out to him.
I font know the year of the boat. I do know the registration was current in Alabama as of 2019. We’re working on getting a reissued title. Is there a way I can determine the year of it without a data plate or other documentation? I do know it doesn’t have an anchor locker at the bow and didn’t include an anchor if that helps. I’m also wondering about anchor locker options in lieu of an integrated one.
I’m just trying to get more info to start getting this $200 boat back in tip-top shape.

Attachments

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Building an anchor locker is a time consuming project. I'd recommend putting that time into much needed cleaning and maintenance. As far as the anchor goes, you can buy bow mounted anchor holders such as the two below and have them installed in minutes rather than spending weeks on building an anchor locker. An anchor locker may also make it harder to get in and out of the bow when sleeping.
1695837877046.jpeg
1695838011708.jpeg

PS - Don't use a pressure washer to wash your boat. It will blow out what little sealant is left under the deck hardware. It will cause leaks

Sep 27, 2023
O’Day 25 Decatur, AL
Right out of the gate, that sounds like solid advice. I was hoping I wouldn’t get replies pontificating this, that, and the other thing with no real input of value. Your reply was definitely valuable. Thanks.
Where can I find an anchor holder like that suitable for the O’Day 25? West Marine, perhaps?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Welcome to SBO. I enjoyed sailing my O'Day 25 for 5 years. Great boat.
As others said, look for the HIN number on the right side of the transom just under the toe rail.
Age may make the engraved number very faint. Many do a pencil tracing to bring out the numbers.

Aug 7, 2021
O'day 28 Casco Bay
By federal statute, any vessel built after 1972 would have a HIN located on the starboard side of the transom as a previous poster mentioned. The first three letters should be "XDY". Recreational boats built between 1972 and 1984 have one coding scheme and those build after 1 August 1984 have another. Post or IM and I can help.