Anchor Locker solutions

Oct 5, 2021
C&C 44 Seattle Yacht Club
C&C 44
My anchor windlass was put in as an afterthought - aft of the anchor locker. But that means the anchor chain comes across the locker hatch to the windlass, and if there is ever a snarl in the locker, it’s extremely difficult to access. Well, the windlass is caput, so I’m looking to fix this system. I want the chain to go into the forward part of the hatch and the windlass to be inside the locker so that everything is smooth on deck. Does anyone have good examples of such configurations?

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Search the archives for "windlass" and you'll find an excellent write up from a year or two back where someone installed a base for the windlass within the rode locker. Very nicely built and well reinforced as well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dan.
That is a big hatch cover. I can see the issue about getting the chain in to the locker. Perhaps you can share images of the locker with the hatch open, an image of the foredeck with the Kaput windlass, an image of the anchor and bow roller looking back towards the windlass and open locker hatch.

I’m trying to visualize the structure you have to work with.

I note that your present setup as seen in the image does not use an anchor lock on the chain. That may also be a consideration as you progress with this project.

Oct 22, 2014
I had to improvise a replacement windlass when converting my manual to electric. I chose to change from horizontal to vertical at the same time.

The original
1679584441077.jpeg

my replacement
1679584707176.jpeg

I don’t have a chain lock on the deck. I tie the chain back beyond the windlass to a strong padeye located just outside the bottom of image.

Oct 5, 2021
Search the archives for "windlass" and you'll find an excellent write up from a year or two back where someone installed a base for the windlass within the rode locker. Very nicely built and well reinforced as well.
Thanks Ralph. I will check it out

Oct 5, 2021
I had to improvise a replacement windlass when converting my manual to electric. I chose to change from horizontal to vertical at the same time.

The original
View attachment 213940

my replacement
View attachment 213941

I don’t have a chain lock on the deck. I tie the chain back beyond the windlass to a strong padeye located just outside the bottom of image.
Thanks JS. I’ll get those pix out.
What do you find are the advantages of the vertical. It’s all a trade off, but I had heard that the horizontal allowed you to hoist a crew up the mast and be able to see him/her - as opposed to hoisting from the aft winches where vision is blocked

Oct 22, 2014
Evaluating the pro/cons of a vertical vs horizontal windlass, I chose the vertical. I liked
  1. the 180 degree wrap of the chain to the gypsy vs 90 degree
  2. the motor is beneath the deck not exposed
  3. smaller footprint on the foredeck
  4. I have a deep anchor locker for chain fall
  5. and adequate access through the V-berth to install and service the motor
Regarding the hoisting option, I have a rope gypsy on the top of the windlass that can be used to haul lines. I’m not a big fan of using the windlass to hoist a person up the mast. There are a lot of added dangers associated with the windlass. I have manual winches to aid with such a job on the mast. I can rig a block and tackle if needed. I prefer the use of a climbing harness to go up the mast. Better yet hire a rigger.

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
Dan, I have C&C 37 with what may be a similar anchor locker configuration. A year into owning the boat , I decided to install a windlass to save my back. After some research and a lot of measuring/beard stroking , I decided a horizontal drive would work on a reinforced shelf mounted below the locker hatch and still allow the rope/chain rode to stack naturally. I found some industrial rated 1/4" U-channel (3.25x6) and cut it to fit as new backing plates for the bow cleats. I cut the shelf out of 3/4" marine plywood and glassed it with three layers of mat, then painted it. After installing the u-channel with new bolts beneath the cleats, I positioned the shelf, drilled bolt holes and installed. Then I mounted a new Maxwell HRC8 12v to the shelf, paying attention to the angle needed for a straight line to the roller. The result is a below-deck windlass with plenty of room for 300' rode and a couple of fenders. This assembly has proven very strong through some pretty trying conditions. That said, I'll be adding a cross brace under the shelf to reduce some shaking under load. The roller system is the second part of this project that has yet to be done. PM me if interested.

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Let's back up to basics.

The windlass should not be used to secure the anchor chain, whether the anchor is on the bottom or in the rollers. Putting anchoring stress on the windlass will lead to frequent windlass replacements.

In the roller the anchor should be contained by a pin through the anchor and roller or by a chain stopper and backed up with a line secured to a cleat. This will allow the chain to enter the anchor locker and for the locker door to be closed.

A horizontal windlass can be mounted aft of the anchor locker with the chain falling in to the locker. One minor downside is the chain can castle which will cause it to fall off the windlass gypsy. Not a big issue if you prepare for it.

A vertical windlass will allow the chain to fall straight down and mostly avoid the castling problem, however, most production boats can not easily accomdatoe this solution.

If you search online, you will find several other options involving modifying the locker door to allow for a vertical chain drop or mounting the windlass on a shelf in the anchor locker.

In these photos. you can see how the chain and anchor are secured when sailing. The chain stopper is also used when anchored along with a nylon line snubber (we have an all chain rode). In the other photo you can see the location of the windlass behind the anchor locker.

1681612813607.png

1681612846545.png

May 16, 2015
C&C 37 28127 Port Madison, Washington
The windlass should not be used to secure the anchor chain, whether the anchor is on the bottom or in the rollers. Putting anchoring stress on the windlass will lead to frequent windlass replacements.
For sure. Always a snubber secured to cleats with chain from windlass slack.