Anchor Locker on Hunter 45DS

May 4, 2012
Hunter 45DS Toronto
Hi.
Just this year I replaced my anchor rode with chain.

I find that the chain is not able to drop straight down into the anchor locker because of the design of the anchor locker.

The anchor locker wall is not straight down it goes down on an angle. So the chain follows the slope of the wall then piles up until it backs up into the windless. Then the windless jams. To combat the jamming I push the pile of chain over until it builds up again. The anchor locker is definitely not full, the chain backs up on the wall.

This means that I must be at the locker all the time watching and pushing the pile over instead of using the remote.

Has anyone found a solution??

Murray

Attachments

Sep 22, 2009
Hunter 36 Seattle, WA
Same for my H36- I watch, pause, arrange, and resume. At least once, sometimes twice.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
One of these days I'll solve that problem on my B323. I figure a ramp to carry the chain farther over the piling chain will do it. Maybe a large pvc pipe, cut lengthwise like a gutter?

LAS

May 31, 2019
Hunter 41DS Adventure Yacht Harbor
I have exactly the same problem on a Hunter 41DS( as pictured by murrayabbott). The all chain rode stacks up along the aft wall without constant attention. I have attempted make shift slides/ramps of starboard hoping it would be slick enough to prevent the chain from crawling/stacking up. Also made a temporary plywood ramp with a thin slick material suspended by lines to pulpit so I could adjust the angle and hopefully deposit the chain further forward into the deeper area of the locker...none have proven successful.

I see it as a real safety concern as it slows down the process and requires you hands/foot or stick to manipulate the chain during retrieval.

Beginning to think the only permanent solution is to access the bottom of the locker from behind the fwd. head medicine cabinet. Cut away the locker bottom and aft side; and rebuild to form a deeper locker that will still drain and create the aft vertical side to slope aft as much as possible. This should give the " pyramid" shaped chain section more room to rest/deposit naturally?

Any thoughts or sharing of your efforts would be appreciated.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ron, the concept sounds good but the product "PVC Pipe", I think, will present a problem when trying to deploy the anchor. The chain will have a tendency to catch on the PVC pipe when you're dropping the anchor. I think your going to need to invest in a stainless channel (similar to an anchor bow roller) attached to the boat. It will move the drop point of the chain further into the chain locker yet help center the chain when you are drawing it up out of the locker for deployment.

Aug 22, 2018
Hunter 33 Prinyers Cove, PE County, ON
Its a pain in the rear but that is the price you pay to have a large V berth.
What I do is sit on the deck, press the up button with my right hand then with my left hand I constantly feed the chain over itself so that it cascades into the locker. The windlass was new to me this year and I also have all chain rode. it was irritating at first but by the end of the season it didn't bother me too much.
The weeds that I drag up with the chain bother me much more :banghead:

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Ditto here, but not a problem that needs solving. Windlass foot switch is in the well. I always pay the chain and rope in by hand as it comes off the drum and feed it into the well. Do the same when dropping. Much prefer to be there so as to keep an eye on the delivery process. Just too many things can happen.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Ditto here, but not a problem that needs solving. Windlass foot switch is in the well. I always pay the chain and rope in by hand as it comes off the drum and feed it into the well. Do the same when dropping. Much prefer to be there so as to keep an eye on the delivery process. Just too many things can happen.
Man, that scares me. I had a friend who was doing something like that and had his hand caught in the windlass and really messed it up. Easy to become distracted up there when there is some wind and other boats close aboard. There are two things on my foredeck that terrorize me, the windlass and the large anchor locker hatch cover. We have rules on Maxine about foredeck behavior.

Rule#1: Do not fall overboard.
Rule#2: Never allow your toes to hang over the anchor locker hatch cover edge. The hatch cover is held open by a shock cord to the lifeline, but if it ever slipped off, WHAM, bye-bye toes!
Rule#3: Never allow any body part within less than 1 foot to the windlass when it is in operation. We bring a boat hook to the foredeck when recovering to push the chain down the slope.
Scary stuff

Aug 22, 2018
Hunter 33 Prinyers Cove, PE County, ON
Man, that scares me. I had a friend who was doing something like that and had his hand caught in the windlass and really messed it up. Easy to become distracted up there when there is some wind and other boats close aboard. There are two things on my foredeck that terrorize me, the windlass and the large anchor locker hatch cover. We have rules on Maxine about foredeck behavior.

Rule#1: Do not fall overboard.
Rule#2: Never allow your toes to hang over the anchor locker hatch cover edge. The hatch cover is held open by a shock cord to the lifeline, but if it ever slipped off, WHAM, bye-bye toes!
Rule#3: Never allow any body part within less than 1 foot to the windlass when it is in operation. We bring a boat hook to the foredeck when recovering to push the chain down the slope.
Scary stuff
Ouch. :mad::yikes:
I have never considered the possibility of the anchor hatch removing appendages but you have made me think about it now.
One of my rules is shoes on while on deck.
I think lose clothing around the windlass is something to consider or even long hair. Pulling the chain out does concern me. there are a lot of forces at play when dropping the anchor and when the clutch is off things can happen fast. I'm not worried about bringing the chain in. things are pretty much under control. When I am paying the chain into the locker my hand is about 10" from the windlass.
And agreed, do not fall overboard.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I suppose one could make most anything a hazard, but how I bring up the anchor using the windlass on our boat does not. The anchor hatch is secured to the lifeline using a shackle, so not possible that it will drop and cut off my shoe covered toes. No long hair here either, nor loose clothing, so unlikely any kind of entanglement will ensue.

Paying the chain out from under the windlass and feeding it into the locker, to me seems routine and very low risk. Done it hundreds of times in all kinds of weather/conditions and have never felt exposed to any kind of danger. On the other hand I would consider riding a bicycle far more dangerous than operating the windlass on our boat.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
Same problem. I installed remote switch for windless ($15 jeep winch remote) and stand there with pole clearing the chain as it comes in. No big deal.

mbaker

Jun 11, 2013
hunter passage 42 Stony Pt., NY
Into this conversation late but I have the problem with my P42. Have 200' of chain so it piles up in a hurry. I use a painter's telescoping stick to move the chain as needed. Been contemplating a solution that I think may work. Place a separator in the locker to keep 100' on one side away from the falling chain on the other. We anchor alot and very rarely use more than 60 to 80' of chain. If I do, it can be placed back over the divider.....
Thoughts, suggestions???

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Same problem. I installed remote switch for windless ($15 jeep winch remote) and stand there with pole clearing the chain as it comes in. No big deal.
I agree with your solution 100%
This is exactly what I’ve done
The remotes are $15 on eBay, and you can drop the anchor from the cockpit, if you choose
The remote keeps your hands & feet away from the chain, and simply use a pole to push the chain cleat.
I always retrieve chain up on the foredeck. You need to see what’s coming up out of the water. I actually have a chain counter back at the helm, so I could raise or lower from there. But for safety, I always raise up on the bow.