Anchor locker confusion

May 21, 2014
Hunter H44 Toronto
The shot below is the setup from the PO. I’ve no idea why the rode is attached to the chain like this. Obviously can’t go thru the windlass. Any ideas before I cut it off and splice? Thanks
D9BAFBD5-AFE7-4F48-9C6C-A2DEC45B3A98.jpeg

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
On my similar setup I removed the cover that is stamped "Simpson Lawrence" so I could easily wrap the rope rode around the windlass. That cover is only useful with an all chain rode, if at all.

Jun 18, 2015
Mascot 28 Pilothouse Motorsailer Grand Manan
Should the chain locker have a 1/2" drain hole out thru the stem,assuming that is a watertight bulkhead? / Len

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Even if it did go through the windlass, would you trust it as is? Looks well past time for replacement.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Remove the shackle and the thimble from the rope rode. Splice the rode to the last chain link. The articles above or youtube videos are good resources for the splice. The splice will go through the windlass without having to remove the "Simpson-Lawrence" cover. It does look like time for a new rode though.....that one looks very degraded.

Also, the gypsy will retrieve the rope rode as well as the chain. You don't have to wrap the rope around the capstan (the part that looks like a winch drum) to retrieve the anchor.