Anchor Locker becoming water ballast

• Thread starter Eric on Board selah
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric on Board selah

On my Hunter 380, the drain for the anchor locker is about 1". The entry point, under the bow end of the locker lid, for a boarding wave is over a square foot I'm sure. I'm doing the math and worrying about the experience in big seas, with the weight of my bow suddenly increased by a boarding wave and however many hundred gallons my anchor locker will hold. Has anyone had experiences with this and, more importantly, any real solutions?

E

Eric on Board selah

On my Hunter 380, the drain for the anchor locker is about 1". The entry point, under the bow end of the locker lid, for a boarding wave is over a square foot I'm sure. I'm doing the math and worrying about the experience in big seas, with the weight of my bow suddenly increased by a boarding wave and however many hundred gallons my anchor locker will hold. Has anyone had experiences with this and, more importantly, any real solutions?

B

Benny

You would be surprised the amount of water

that can pass through a 1 inch hole, especially if it was coming in instead of going out. The math regarding your anchor locker is simple, even if it filled totally with water it would not make a dent against the total bouyancy of the hull. Them marine designers know what they are doing.

B

Benny

You would be surprised the amount of water

that can pass through a 1 inch hole, especially if it was coming in instead of going out. The math regarding your anchor locker is simple, even if it filled totally with water it would not make a dent against the total bouyancy of the hull. Them marine designers know what they are doing.

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
I fashioned a plug out of starboard....

I had the same concern in preparing for a 200 nm offshore run from Cape May, NJ to Block Island, RI this summer. If you've ever washed down your dirty anchor chain in the locker you know that small amount of water takes a while to drain. Imagine a couple of waves in a row filling the locker and what that would do to how the boat rode up the next wave? My plug is notched so that it fits around the anchor shaft and the anchor lid closes over part of the plug holding it in place when the lid is latched. It's in layers somewhat like a sandwich so that the outer layer is all outside the lid so that water hitting it actually holds it in place plugging the opening to deflect the water. Fortunately, we never took any waves over the bow. The design process involved cutting layers of cardboard in a trial and error kind of process til I had built up enough layers of the right shape. Replicating it in starboard was the easier part. Now that the trip is over, it's hanging from the anchor cleat in the locker so if conditions warranted it could easily be put in place.

Mulf

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 410 Chester, MD (Kent Island)
I fashioned a plug out of starboard....

I had the same concern in preparing for a 200 nm offshore run from Cape May, NJ to Block Island, RI this summer. If you've ever washed down your dirty anchor chain in the locker you know that small amount of water takes a while to drain. Imagine a couple of waves in a row filling the locker and what that would do to how the boat rode up the next wave? My plug is notched so that it fits around the anchor shaft and the anchor lid closes over part of the plug holding it in place when the lid is latched. It's in layers somewhat like a sandwich so that the outer layer is all outside the lid so that water hitting it actually holds it in place plugging the opening to deflect the water. Fortunately, we never took any waves over the bow. The design process involved cutting layers of cardboard in a trial and error kind of process til I had built up enough layers of the right shape. Replicating it in starboard was the easier part. Now that the trip is over, it's hanging from the anchor cleat in the locker so if conditions warranted it could easily be put in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.