Anchor Lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2007
Catalina 310 Middle River, MD
My Catalina 310 doesn't seem to have an anchor lock. I hook the chain to the anchor cleat, but it still puts strain on the anchor locker cover when closed. Do other 310s have an anchor lock and/or has anybody installed one?
hweller #199

Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
Hi Paul,

This is slightly off he topic, but I noticed that you seem to have a Rocna anchor. I am intending to replace my danforth (not that it's a bad anchor at all for mud) but I plan to do some long distance cruising and I'd like to be able to sleep well at night. What is the weight of your Rocna and did it fit on the existing anchor/bow roller without any modifications? I am also considering a Delta since it appears to get pretty good ratings, costs less, and is somewhat more esthetically pleasing. I notice that you seem to have the original capstan windlass; ok for rode but not good at all for chain. As I plan to install 50' of chain and there are no longer conversion kits available, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and wind up purchasing the Maxwel VW 500. It will only work with 1/4" HT chain but has the same footprint as VC 500. I'd appreciate any thoughts you may have on the subject.
Thanks,

Jeff

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
WellerH
Sorry for the thread take over.......:hijacked:

doctorsail

I've used the existing windlass with the chain as seen in photo maybe over 75 times and can not see any wear or tear on the parts involved.
This configuration works just fine for me and when the windlass wears out I will probably replace it with a rope-chain windlass but until then.
The down side is the reaction of people when someone sees me using this setup..... you would think the world is coming to the end.:eek:

I will be using the Rocna anchor next week in the Gulf Islands in Canada for the first time.....not sure how good it will set and hold but videos show it sets fast being pulled behind a truck on the beach.

If the anchor design bothers you......put a bag over it like I did.

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
paulj
I am going to replace my anchor chain & rope for the same type of windlass you have. Have you spliced your rope directly to the chain?

Status
Not open for further replies.