Anchor Line/Chain Connection

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
The chain link that the anchor line was spliced to corroded under the nylon. I am not sure what caused the corrosion but was an opportunity to learn a new skill. I was able to remove the offending link and resplice the line. Not perfect, but I will do better next time. I can’t remember how we learned new things before YouTube anymore. pictures attached.

Attachments

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Wow! Nice job. It's not easy to splice of old line. You might want to evaluate how old that nylon is, by the way, it has a fininte lifetime. But, the "fresh" part where you spliced it looks good. Another area for the rest of us to check for maintenance, for sure, that last link.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
Wow! Nice job. It's not easy to splice of line. You might want to evaluate how old that nylon is, by the way, it has a fininte lifetime. But, the "fresh" part where you spliced it looks good. Another area for the rest of us to check for maintenance, for sure, that last link.

Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. It is probably pretty old nylon. Still looks good apart from being discolored in spots. I appreciate the advice. I can practice the splice with new line.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
at last, nice job, looks great.

jviss, your great, help allot, that said, your misleading people on splicing.
splicing three stand rope is very very easy. easy to learn, easy to do. every sailor should learn it. my dad taught me as a kid. 1 1/2 steel cable , while tedious, is easy too.
simple technique to learn. easy to apply to your needs.
like tying a bowline, easy once learned. splicing, easy peezey, once learned.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
jviss, your great, help allot, that said, your misleading people on splicing.
Typo: should have read "not easy to splice old line."

BTW, I've been splicing hemp and nylon 3-strand, parallel core polyester, dynema, etc., for a long time. I've always made all of my own running rigging, and lot of my standing rigging, too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@SV At Last great to have you sharing your skills. Nice job.

I think the YouTube is replacement for hanging around a dock and talking to sailors. Before we would find a salty looking sailor and try to learn his skills.

Occasionally this also included drinking beer.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Thing is you need the additional tucks to taper the splice to enable it to run smoothly thru the windlass gypsy.
Not as many as shown. ;) On three strand, I would cut one strand after 4 tucks, another after 5th tucks on the remaining two strands, and then cut the third strand after a 6th tuck.

Last edited:
  • Helpful