Anchor Line - Brait or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
I need to replace my anchor line. Last winter a guy from New England ropes gave a presentation about line (it is actually a multi-faceted and interesting subject) which whetted my interest as my 3-strand has a good memory and is a little extra trouble to store when pulling it in. I currently have 1/2 3-straind, but was looking at the Yale Brait anchor line on this site and at the Double Braid line at West Marine. Is there much difference, and does 1/2 work for our boats (I have never had a problem with what I have)?

The price difference for the Yale Brait and what WM has is pretty substantial and all things being equal I want what I need, but also like to support this site. Ray

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
The brait supposedly will take up less space, but depending on how many anchors you carry, the size of the anchor locker should be adequate for either. I have been told the brait is much easier to handle, but have no first hand experience. I think if you check the specs the double braid is about 15% stronger then the twisted. This means you will get less stretch with a double braid of the same diameter as 3 strand. For an anchor line stretch is your friend.

Sep 29, 2008
Thoughts

The brait supposedly will take up less space, but depending on how many anchors you carry, the size of the anchor locker should be adequate for either. I have been told the brait is much easier to handle, but have no first hand experience. I think if you check the specs the double braid is about 15% stronger then the twisted. This means you will get less stretch with a double braid of the same diameter as 3 strand. For an anchor line stretch is your friend.
Valcour, Interesting point. I guess at this point it is whether the easier handling is more important than the stretch. I use the original Danforth anchor and have no problems in the Potomac River. In fact with the mud here, it is normally a bear to get the anchor up as it sets so hard.

For stretch, springiness, what about using one of those mooring snubbers to take away the shock.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I say if you are willing to break the rubber band off your wallet, go for the high tech brait line. According to this http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|311417|322366|1041170&id=637846 it's got the stretch.

I've been wanting to get another anchor, but I have not yet been able to drag my 22# danforth type anchor with 20' of chain in the Chesapeake bay. If I ever do have a dragging episode, I will have some ammunition to convince the admiral I need either a delta or bruce type anchor.

dave

Sep 29, 2008
Looks like the same line SBO has

They are both made by Yale, $0.79/ft and brait. That is what I was thinking of. I will ask our hosts.

I too have never had my anchor hold in the Potomac. Usually it is set so hard that I had to cleat it and power over it to break it free as the Danforth just get a wicked hold in the mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.