Anchor light not working

Aug 21, 2020
Catalina 275 Coffs Harbour
My anchor light is not working, I suspect a blown bulb, but before I go up the mast I would like to be prepared as possible so I only have to do one trip. Does anyone know what type of bulb I need so I can buy one in advance? I've checked the manual but it doesn't include any specifics. I've added a photo I took from the marina wall, not a great image but good enough to see that it looks the same as one that Codybear posted here (so I assume it's the standard light):

The other option would be to purchase a new LED light, but I imagine wiring an entirely new light while up there might be a challenging job.

I've checked the switch panel is providing power to the anchor light wire (which it is), so I can't think of anything else I can check before going up the mast. Any other suggestions on things I should look for?

Attachments

Feb 4, 2021
Hunter 27T menominee marina
looks like a (AquaSignal) brand, that takes a festoon style bulb,, LED replacement bulbs are available at Walmart and others.. the one pictured looks to have the dimpled (in) base design..others are dimpled out...The cover just twists off to replace the bulb..should not need any tools.. (photo from ebay)

Attachments

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
By all means get an LED bulb. Significant battery drain overnight by the old incandescent bulb.

Aug 21, 2020
Thank you everyone for all the help. The replacement you have Codybear looks awesome, but I wasn't able to source one in Australia. However, I did find an LED replacement that is twice as bright as the standard globe and uses half the energy. If anyone else in Australia is looking you can get them from JayCar here. I also took the opportunity to replace the bow, stern and running lights with the same LEDs. I haven't actually gone up the mast yet to replace the anchor light, but hopefully that will be a simple job for tomorrow.

Once again, thanks for all the helpful information :)

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
You may be in for a surprise when you get to the top of the mast. While mine was a festoon (cone), the above Ebay picture is a barrel (dimple). The two lights are not the same or at least not manufactured the same. As Dirty Harry said, "do you feel lucky punk?"

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm probably late to comment but I wouldn't go up the mast to change a light bulb ... or for any other reason. I would find another solution. I just don't like the idea of my personal potential energy being converted to kinetic energy.

Aug 21, 2020
Well, it looks like I'm a lucky punk! Turns out all of my light fittings are the same - festoon (cone) 42mm. The anchor light was very simple to change, no tools required and took about 60 seconds. The running light however tricked me as the housing was secured with a small phillips head screw that was really difficult to see while dangling from the other side of the mast. I spent about 15 minutes trying to get it off before I realised the screw was there. Lucky I took a screwdriver up with me just in case.

Anyway, the anchor light was a blown bulb as suspected so everything is now working again with 4 new LED lights. Happy days :)

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
... I wouldn't go up the mast to change a light bulb ... or for any other reason. I would find another solution. I just don't like the idea of my personal potential energy being converted to kinetic energy.
I'm with you. I like my deck and all, but I would not want to have it approaching me at 10 meters / second ^ 2, whatever that works out.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
I usually haul my Granddaughter up the mast for such tasks. This year I asked my marina if they could use their crane and reinstall my windex. One set screw installation. Estimated cost from marina: $260 ! I pay Granddaughter $15 an hour. (18 year old mountain climber) Guess I will interrupt her varnishing for the mast work.