Anchor Light Bulb replacement- 83 Oday 28

May 24, 2011
Oday 28 Windmill Harbor Hilton Head, SC
Went up the mast to take a look at the anchor light today, I think the bulb is out but I could not figure out how to gain access to the bulb itself while up there. Anybody recognize this anchor light housing and know how to open it to get the bulb? I am thinking of LED as a replacement but need to get the old bulb so I know what kind to get. Could not find and replacement part info in the owners manual,...Thanks in advance...

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
If memory serves the lens should rotate about 1/8th turn then you should be able to pull it off. You may also find that the contacts could use some light sanding to remove any corrosion and get a better connection. If you have to replace the fixture, good luck removing the screws holding it in place. Ours had pretty much welded themselves in place and were absolutely not budging. Luckily sanding the contact points got ours working again, otherwise it would've been a drill out / re-tap affair.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
While we're "up there" anyone know what type lamp is in the fixture?

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
I'm willing to bet it's a festoon bulb, but to replace it you'll have to measure the length. Probably something like 42mm. Unless someone's has the same year boat and been there, looks like 2 trips up the mast.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I'm willing to bet it's a festoon bulb, but to replace it you'll have to measure the length. Probably something like 42mm. Unless someone's has the same year boat and been there, looks like 2 trips up the mast.
Looks like an Aqua Signal and yes they have a festoon bulb. I looked at using a LED festoon but they come with little caps for the ends to adapt to the right length and were very expensive. I felt the extra joints were another failure mode for corrosion and festoons are not very rigidly held in place. I opted for a new LED fixture all sealed and potted. I rewirded the whole mast so it was pulled out. For your job you could go with the LED festoon and adapters so you select the right adapters while up the mast. Otherwise ask for an aqua signal festoon bulb.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
Looks like it should be an Ancor Festoon #69 10 watt .83 amp 12 volt lamp based on what is currently included with that brand anchor light.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Notice how clouded and sun damaged the lens on your fixture has gotten. The lens on my steaming light looked even worse than that. A new fixture is about 30 bucks and includes the bulb. A bulb alone is over 10 bucks. You should replace the whole fixture.

May 6, 2012
Hunter 28.5 Jordan, ON
Notice how clouded and sun damaged the lens on your fixture has gotten. The lens on my steaming light looked even worse than that. A new fixture is about 30 bucks and includes the bulb. A bulb alone is over 10 bucks. You should replace the whole fixture.
Is the incandescent festoon for that fixture really over ten bucks? That's incredible.

The lenses on my steaming and anchor fixtures were UV damaged and weather worn as well. I polished them up to near-new condition with 8 cents worth of toothpaste and a cotton rag. Headlight lens restorer would work too, but costs more... :-D

Sep 23, 2009
Mine were about 3.50 for two at West Marine. They were duplicates of the one inside a whole new anchor light fixture.

Sep 23, 2009
Ancor brand part number 529104.
Same size and specs as Aqua bulbs. Maybe filament difference??
Will report back if unsatisfactory.

Nov 3, 2010
Oday 39 Lake mills WI
I agree with Jibes. I just replaced the entire fixture . Huge difference in light output. Yes, you might be able to polish it each year but for $30 replace the fixture and move on .

On my fixture ,the insulation on the wire where exposed to light inside the fixture was crumbling .

Sep 23, 2009
Don't know about other '84 34's but we replaced all the mast lamps today and this is what the yard used;
Anchor light-type 97 single bayonet Ancor part number 520097
Steaming light-festoon Aqua signal series 25
Spreader- Halogen bayonet Ancor part number 529337
Hope this saves someone a trip up the mast.