Anchor Hatch Specifications 1984 Hunter 31

VB1

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 31 Port Salerno
image.jpeg
During Huricane Matthew lost Anchor Hatch from my 1984 Hunter 31' Where can I get a copy of the engeneering Drawing so I can have Hatch made, OR...anyone have any ideas how I replace it. Thanks....

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I don't see any holes for the latch or for hinges (mine is hinged on the port side), so when you replace it, you might want to attach it to the boat.

Have you called Hunter? Have you called the SBO store (in other words, the store on this site?) Phil has contacts in the industry, particularly for Hunter parts.

In the alternative, do you have any marine salvage/consignment stores in your area? You could also call Don's Marine Salvage in Clearwater, FL. Good luck.

VB1

Feb 8, 2015
Hunter 31 Port Salerno
Thank you for your reply, have contacted Hunter, no reply, in the past they did not have any info on the older boats..

Just had Boat painted, hinges and lock were not installed....Something hit anchor during storm causing Anchor to fall, suspect chain caused hatch to open and wind caught it.

Contacted Hunter Owners, do not have part but made one similar recently, was very expensive.

Will contact Dons in Clearwater on Monday, Thank you for your time, if I get a drawing will post on here for all to use in future.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Pretty sure that the cover from the 34 is the same.. need to verify, but it may help to broaden the search..

Oct 27, 2016
Seattle
And now a word from the sponsor...
Cabinet catch for many Hunters

These catches were common on Hunters from the Legend-era through today's Marlow-Hunters. We keep a large stock on hand for emergency shipments or just getting spares.
See the product

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
VB1,
Tough luck on that sorry to hear about that. Failing finding anything through salvage or Hunter. You may be able to make some thing from wood then glass it over. I have no idea if that piece would float or sink, but it may be worth looking/asking around your area if it has washed up anywhere.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If you make one from scratch, you may want to consider coring it with closed cell structural foam. When we bought the boat, we found ours had softened from water intrusion. I removed it, ground the bottom side off, removed the rotted balsa, and cut and shaped a layer of foam. I then sliced the foam like it was a loaf of bread into thin strips to help it conform to the top of the hatch. I glued all the pieces in with thickened epoxy, then reglassed the bottom. A herd of elephants can now dance on the hatch, and I don't have to worry about water intrusion anymore. I suspect it will not float.