Anchor fun......

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I know what you mean, when you find a good anchorage.............we only have a few in the San Francisco Bay..............but I stay away due to the traffic or tidal current.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
You obviously picked the very best spot and everyone wants in on it.
Anchorages around here are not very big and on a warm summer weekend can get pretty crowded so I'm used to "cozy" neighbours.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hundreds of yards of empty space...... I wish I attracted women when I was in high school like we attract fellow anchorers. And the saga continues.
I have observed this behavior many times. I think there is some sort of herding dynamic at play here. One boat arrives and chooses a nice spot. Then additional boats arrive, and they instinctively head toward the boat(s) already anchored, as though the boat has inside knowledge, especially when the arriving boats are not experienced in that harbor.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Two observations:
When we anchored last month in North Bay in the San Juan islands (This is a huge bay with room for hundreds of boats and we were the only one there). Someone came in anchored very close to us, right next door, but moved after a few hours. He later talked to me and explained that's the only place in the bay with good cell phone coverage and he needed to send a file for his job.

A couple years ago I pulled up to a very busy Anchorage and decided to anchor on the other side of this small Bay where no one else was anchored. They were all anchored right next to a park, but we could dingy there easily enough. When we returned from the park, we discovered that we could hardly get the dinghy up to the boat. This was because the current was running so fast where we were anchored. I was sure glad to see our anchor held. We pulled up anchor and moved where all those other boats were.

Local knowledge can be a great help.

Ken

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
For weekend warriors the trick is finding room to anchor :banghead:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
FYI the current Good Old Boat issue is basically all about unstayed rigs and includes the Nonsuch36. I've posted before my experience on a Nonsuch 30.