Anchor dings need repair - thoughts?

jpeac2

Feb 9, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Belmont Harbor
Hey Everyone -

Sustained some anchor damage last summer to the bow (picture attached). Looking for advice on how to fix this.

I got an official quote from the marina I store the boat at and it was $4400. Thats not in the budget so I will have to embark on this myself. Luckily I have a friend who has done this work before and can help.

Here is the work the marina quoted:
- Repair with fiberglass and polyester resin
- Fair in polyester filler
- Sand smooth and apply gelcoat tinted to Beneteau white - RAL 9016
- When cured - sand and polish.

A neighboring guy in the yard suggested using a filler (epoxy repair kits) then coating with color matched gelcoat.

What do you think?

Attachments

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
No comment on the repair method. You seem to be on the right path.

If this was PO damamge, please disregard the following.

I notice that the dings extend below the waterline. This is not a normal thing, and I'm guessing that the boat is moving forward while the anchor is winched up. Slow down a lot. The boat should be either stationary, or even better, drifting backwards. It looks like the anchor has been caused to swing.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That was a lot of anchor swinging about. I am guessing here. The bow roller might be a bit short based on the damage. To fix the bow fiberglass, you're going to need to extend the roller further so that the anchor retrieves free of the bow. Or, as part of your repairs, attach a guard to the bow to take the blows without chipping.

Repairs could involve, your option:
  1. Sanding back the bow, adding several layers of resined glass to rebuild the shape, proper fill with fairing compound, then a color-matched gel coat application, and finally smoothing and buffing.
  2. You can also try a series of little patches to fill the holes. I would use epoxy instead of polyester resin, as epoxy shrinks less. Be sure the repairs are well-aged. You want a firm, filled, smooth surface before you finish with a color-matched gel coat.
Depending on your skills, concern for the finished product, and available time, you might accomplish this as a DIY project. The proposed $4K might be worth the expense if it gets you out on the water with a finished product you admire.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I like the approach the marina proposed for the above waterline chips. Gelcoat goes best over polyester and the repair doesn’t need to be especially waterproof or structural so I wouldn’t use epoxy there. Below the waterline since it’s still watertight polyester should be fine too.

The hardest part will probably be to fair everything and color match the new gelcoat. I recommend the Boatworks Today YouTube channel for help with that.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
I would use West Epoxy and fair. At my club we use a body shop guy to touch it up. His work has lasted 20 years and still looking great.