Anchor Chain

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have 90’ of chain and it is getting rusty looking.
What do you do to your chain to keep it from getting rusty or what can be done,it has a rusty looking coating on half of it
and guess the most used part.
Thinking of refeversing the chain but what an I do to the rusting part and it’s not real bad but like to keep from getting worse.
Nick

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
Good morning Nick! Reversing the chain is the best option. We only use a small portion in SWFL anyway. As far as keeping it from rusting the only option is don't use it. LOL I had to cut a couple of links off the anchor end of my chain (just at the swivel) just recently because of rust. The rest is good!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This is Daisy, making this a Daisy,....
chain daisy.jpg

Reverse it, that's what's happening here. Plus it got a good pressure wash. Once it starts rusting to the point of staining the decks and filling the hold with rust, it's time to replace unless you can find a galvanizer that makes sense in $$.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I will need to cut a link off the end and than reverse it but does anybody spray any anti corrision or rust preventer and thinking maybe spray once in a while.
Nick

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have been told by ACCO reps that re-galvanizing is not possible. Maybe what they meant was that it was not economically feasible. Or maybe rusted chain simply will not accept the galvanizing. I don't know.

But I get about 6-7 years out of a chain before I replace the rusty part or the entire length. I anchor all of the time; I rarely take a dock.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
I have a shot and a half and then 350' of line. The chain sits atop the line.. Not the best for the line but it acts to keep the chain somewhat aerated. It still oxidizes but at a slower rate.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I just had mine re-galvanized at Silver City in Richmond. About 1/6 the cost of new chain. Did the anchor a couple of years ago.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
How much time goes by until you have to re-galvanize again...Is that re-re-galvanize?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA