Anchor chain Yamaha 33

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
Currently we use 33 feet of 5/16 HT shackled to 250 ft of ⅝ double braid. It is time to get a windlass and I am wondering if anyone with a Yamaha 33 uses a ¼ inch HT chain rode The boat is 11, ooo lbs empty but probably close to 13,00 lbs with people and gear when we go for our 4-6 week cruise. I am considering 200 ft of ¼ in HT and 150 feet of ½ in 8 strand braid or 120 feet of 5/16 in HT and 150 feet of 8 strand braid. Our club requires a minimum of 300 feet rode as in cad of emergency (dock fir, wind storm) and boats have to evacuate the dock at our outstation, we can anchor. The minimum depth is 100 feet about 30 feet from shore (fiord). The means either a ¼ gypsy on a windlass or 5/16 inch gypsy. I can get a bit of a deal on an old stock Maxwell freedom 500 (¼ inch) or pay almost twice as much for a Maxwell RC 8 (5/16 in ). If I go for a horizontal windlass, Lewmar has a stainless available in either ¼ in or 5/16 in but I have read some very bad reviews of this windlass. The Maxwell windlass's have a clutch for controlling descent whereas the Lewmar has an emergency let'r rip free fall option. Both Lewmar and Maxwell have of course two direction motor control.

Is ¼ HT too light a gear for a 33 foot 13,000 lb sailboat? At least once per summer we are anchored in 30 knots plus with our current setup.

Thanks,

Richard