Anchor chain size

Status
Not open for further replies.

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
catalina 310 charlottes cove tasmania
Have a Maxwell 500 windlass on our Catalina 310 that has a 1/4 inch chain gypsy and a rope capstan as well.
The chain size looks small and would like comments on whether i should upgrade to 5/16 chain.
Has anyone put a 5/16 chain gypsy on the maxwell 500 winch?
cheers
Curlew 11 in Tasmania

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 350 Tacoma, WA WA
I think you will find parts for the Maxwell impossible to acquire. I would like to upgrade to a rope/chain gypsy, and have been unsuccessful in finding the kit they used to have for that upgrade. HOWEVER, if you DO find parts, please post here. I think there are a few folks who would be interested.

FWIW - I use 35' of 5/16 chain spliced to 200' of 1/2" nylon. Works OK on the rope gypsy alone (sort of).

Regards,

Jon Freeman
C-310 "Summer Sojourn"
Tacoma, WA USA

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
Thanks for your prompt replies. It is indeed a challenge to buy maxwell parts. It seems they just want us to buy a new winch!
I will keep trying and if I have any luck I will post an address.At present we have 5metres of 3/8 chain shackled to 30 metres 1/4 inch chain and then 20 metres rope.
I really would prefer to have all 5/16 chain. Its nice to sleep at night.
Cheers Curlew11

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Curlew

Yes I use the chain shown on My Maxwell 500.

Well if the anchor isn't set and the anchor doesn't hold...............Good night Johnboy.

Wichard long D shackle 1414 breaking load 8,000lbs

1/2' nylon line premium white 3 strand 7500 lbs breaking strength

1/4' HIGH TEST CHAIN swl 2600 lbs

Used this chain calculation for wieght
1/4" anchor chain is 113#/100' =1.13 #/ft
58' X 1.13 = 65.54 lbs

I also wear rubber gloves while on anchor duty.......
paulj :troll:

Attachments

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
Thanks Paul J thats what I needed to hear. Someone else is using 1/4 inch chain without problems on a Catalina 310.
I guess all I need now is the rubber gloves
Cheers Des

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Thanks for your prompt replies. It is indeed a challenge to buy maxwell parts. It seems they just want us to buy a new winch!
I will keep trying and if I have any luck I will post an address.At present we have 5metres of 3/8 chain shackled to 30 metres 1/4 inch chain and then 20 metres rope.
I really would prefer to have all 5/16 chain. Its nice to sleep at night.
Cheers Curlew11

I tried to buy a 5/16" gypsy for our 310 and could not do it. They claim they "did not make one" at the time.

If you want to sleep well use a good anchor, used good anchoring techniques and proper scope. The chain really makes little difference when you really need it and even 5/16" will lose it's effective caternary. I have 3/8" on our 36 footer and have seen it near bar tight, at 7:1, on two occasions. I went back to using a nylon/chain combo for better shock loading protection.

Chain can reduce your swing radius in calm conditions and prevents chafe on bottom obstacles thus why I use 60' chain then nylon..

I just chose to ignore that toy of a windlass on our C-310 and think I might have used it once or twice if that. I simply use the boat to aid in anchor retrieval.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I use 100' of 5/16 chain, with 100' of 5/8" nylon. Tried to buy a conversion kit for the Maxwell 500 that had the chain gypsy. That was a couple of years ago, and Maxwell only had one left. They also wanted $900 for it. So, I'm still anchoring by hand, and the windlass has never been used.

curlew

Mar 12, 2011
Thanks for your input Tom. I think like you this size of boat needs 5/16 chain,and a 100ft of it. I,m not having any luck obtaining the bigger gypsy,they started off by suggesting a 5/16 gypsy from their new range of winches,but changed their mind,stating that the maxwell 500 would not be stong enough to lift the heavier chain.
doesn,t make a lot of sense to me especially if you move the boat fwd under engine power,then just retreive the chain with the winch.
I will keep trying .
Cheers Des
curlew

Mar 30, 2007
Catalina 310 Manalapan, NJ
I've read all of the above comments and you've received the correct advice. To summarize:
As to your Maxwell windlass, I have researched the issue extensively. Last year I just replaced my VW 500 (capstan only) with a VWC 500 (gypsey, chainwheel or wildcat, or whatever you want to call it). There used to be a conversion kit but they are no longer available so don't waste your time looking for one.
Yes indeed, the Maxwell VWC will not handle a chain greater than 1/4 inch and there is no way of getting around that. I also feel that a 5/16 inch chain would be much more appropriate but I had to make the compromise. The next size up is the Maxwell VWC 1000 (they discontinued the 800) which will accept a 5/16 chain but it does not have the same footprint as the VWC 500, will be harder to install, and weighs twice as much as the VWC 500. I tried to use a 5/16 inch chain on the gypsey of the VCW 500 and it simple will not work.
I'm counting on a somewhat oversized anchor to make up for the marginal chain size
Good luck
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.