Anchor chain price/location

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Thanks Gunni. I only have 60ft of 5/16th SS and it shows no wear.
So because apples-to-apples a stainless chain has about 30% less load strength than the HT galvanized, I would be inspecting the links looking for deformation. Also be checking any rope splice or braid for fraying.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I had a CQR on 30 feet of 3/8 inch chain it never failed to set if I let out enough scope.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Be very, very careful to inspect any chain you buy these days. I purchased what was supposed to be ACCO US manufactured hot dip galvanized chain about a year ago and after only 5 months of use the galvanizing was completely gone from some areas of the chain. 270' of 3/8 bbb chain at $7.50 per foot and it lasted 5 months????????? I am not the only one, either. There are at least half a dozen boats in the same position right now. When I received the chain, it appeared to be electroplated, but the retailer assured me it was hot dip galvanized chain.
This wasn't some fly by night, back room deal, but a well known retailer here in the Caribbean.
Buyer beware.
One other thing. For all you who think Hi Test chain is the way to go, consider that the HT links are actually longer than 3B and therefor there are less per foot, making your chain lighter per foot. This goes against the whole principle of anchoring, using the weight of the chain as the primary safety factor because none of us can carry chain actually strong enough for the weight of our boats. Adding a good snub line to the rode makes the extra expense of HT chain completely unnecessary.

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Acco chain galvanizing has not been consistent for a few years now. This has been true since a change of ownership a few years ago. The chain sold at the marine store I work at is Titan from Canada Metal. Very good quality and consistent. They know galvanizing very well - they are one of the world's largest producers of zinc anodes under the Martyr brand. They have also owned Rocna for a few years. A large percentage of our customers are commercial and demand good quality.
http://www.canmet.com/products-services/marine