Anchor angel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 21, 2006
Macgregor 26X Pirates Cove, Alabama
Just discovered from another list the term "angel" as an assist in reducing swinging whilst at anchor. Our 26X used to swing severely in excess of 100 degrees total. Since we now suspend a 35-lb weight (made up of old chain) from the bow padeye that rests on the bottom, even with winds in excess of 30 mph total swing has been reduced to between 50 and 70 degrees. Also the speed of the swing has been greatly reduced. Makes sleeping out much more comfortable. I am curious to know 2 things - is this a common term and is the technique commonly used also.

G

gary nelms

35# of chain?

Experiencing the same swinging, I am intrigued by the concept, but isn't there an easier and more practical thing to store than the chain?? Maybe a smaller but heavy anchor, just dragging the bottom.without the rode ro set it.

C

Chris (Mac 26S)

Other solutions

Check the link below. This person uses an anchor bridle and a riding sail to reduce hunting a good 80 percent. I tried the bridle idea and it does make a big difference. You just need to learn how to tie a "bowline on a bight" to use it. Chris

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
sentinel?

the term 'Angel' is new to me. I've read the term sentinel used, for a weight suspended on the anchor rode. the bridle concept is intresting, but I'd have to add 2 cleats to make it happen. my solution was to use 2 anchors in a 45degree V on each side of prevaling wind. also anchoring from the bow eye increases scope, and reduces 'bobing' in rough conditons. and the sentinel does help some...

Apr 21, 2006
Macgregor 26X Pirates Cove, Alabama
The anchor concept would certainly be easier to handle the a tied up bundle of chain. However, should the anchor 'bite' then,with a heavy sea the padeye could run the risk of being possibly severely damaged. Note: We just experienced 4 hours of 60km winds here on PEI two days ago and the system worked beautifully. Ron

F

Frank Wang

Spring line anchor aid

You can tie a spring line to the main anchor line from the stern to form a triangle. Your boat will face the wind at an angle with the beam. You can adjust the spring line to alter the angles of attack until the boat is sailed in a heave to position. The spring line should be weak enough to break under heavy wind to allow the bow point back to wind under load.

Status
Not open for further replies.