Anchor and Steaming light for Hunter 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy Howard

I need to do some maintenance at the top of the mast and I thought that while I'm up there I might as well replace the light bulbs. What size do I need for an 1984? I checked the archives and couldn't find it.

R

Ron

Hmmmm!

Looks like you're gonna make "TWO," trips up the mast. But hey, look at the great view you'll have. Or, you can do what I do and send your wife up... Good Luck...Ron/KA5HZV

A

Andy Howard

More like 3 or 4 or 5 or.......

Ron, I appreciate your faith in me but from past experience it will probably go like this: 1st trip: Lubricate wind transducer, break Windex, find out that previous owner installed different anchor light fixture 2nd trip: replace windex vane, drop light bulb 3rd trip: install light bulb, but crack lens cover while replacing 4th trip: forget to bring tap and die kit to the boat because I thought new fixture ( replacement lens cover no longer made ) would use same mounting holes 5th trip: install new anchor light 6th trip: rewire connections, break VHF antenna

P

Pat Spino

Light bulbs

Howard Why not email or call Hunter parts dept for the part number. You can even order it from them. All you need is you HIN number and they will be able to tell you what's up there. ONE TRIP; providing, of course, the original owner didn't upgrade the lite. PAT

C

Claude L.-Auger

Drop the mast !

With all these trips Andy, it sure looks like it would be easier to bring the mast down and work at the ground level !!! Kidding aside, I do not recall what brand the mast top light on my 34 (84) is, but it could be Perko or Aqua-Signal. I do believe it's the original model, as it is exactly the same as the one on my previous boat (28.5). It is about 2 inches long, 2 inches high and 1 inch wide. It has 2 lenses front and back, and I believe it's in the West Marine catalog. Pat's idea might work with calling Hunter.

R

Robin

just did mine

Mine is an 85 34 but i just went ahead and bought a new complete light from west marine for 35 bucks. Think it was a perko and was exactly the same as the old one. Now the anchor light is MUCH brighter (the lens cover gets funky after a while) and i sleep much better out at anchor.

A

Andy Howard

Doh!

Thanks Guys! This is a forest for the trees example. Last year at a big overnight rendezvous I noticed that Neverlands anchor light looked a little dim, Replacing the whole fixture is the way to go. BTW, I called Hunter on this first and they said they didn't keep records on this sort of thing, and that they used several spar mfgs. I thought it was kind of lame on their part.

P

Peter

Bulbs are cheap

Bulbs are cheap. I suggest that you buy one of the most common sizes (there really are only a few) and take them all up with you the first time. This increases your odds of getting it right on the first trip and if you plan on being around sailboats you will most likely find a good use for the extra bulbs over time (trade them for beers to others on your dock). When I replaced mine I remember it being the type that has two prongs on the side of the bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.