Anchor and chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Wienecke

I am wanting to move to a Claw anchor as my main anchor the one recommeded for the 37.5 is the 33lb Bruce type but I have found a deal on the Lewmar claw 44lb any negative to the extra 10lbs up front. The Bruce and the Lewmar look the same any difference? Chain recommendation are 3/8 I have always been told get at lest the length of the boat so which is better 3/8 G4 higt T chain 40 feet or G3 cold proof Galvinized chain @ 40 feet? I have a fortress as a back up which I had on the roller all last year but it really doesn't ride that well up there and looks frighting.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Bottom conditions are a major consideration.

Joe: When you are looking for an anchor the normal bottom conditions are a major consideration when choosing ANY anchor. Check out the cataloges, they have tables that show the characteristics for the different types. They also give you the sizing for each boat type/size. For instance a 22# Delta may be a good size for your boat and the 35# Delta would be more than enough. One thing to consider if retrival. A 44# anchor with 38' of chain can be a handful unless you have a windlass. Just some food for thought!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Joe, ditto Steve's comments. As far as...

chain selection goes, I recommend 50 feet of 5/16th high test. Proof coil (lowest grade) and BBB (next up) are lower grade chain; not as strong or corrosion resistant as high test especially for your size boat. On our boat I always drop a 20 pound lead ball down the rode where it stops at the rope to chain shackle. Helps with catenary, especially in rough anchorages. Some call it the sailor's sleeping pill. Of course we have a windlass. Terry

S

shaun

both responses are good....

(I sail a 37.5) Depending on your anchoring vs moorage practice - FYI, I anchor all the time .... will indicated if you want the size rated for your boat or bigger... I tend to go bigger due to the various conditions that I anchor in - which also drives my desire to have 100' of chain and 200' of line ... I often anchor in 50+ feet of water (9-10 fathoms) so I tend to go on the "more is better" - even though it adds some weight up forward.... I have a bruce type anchor as my primary anchor with a Dansforth as my alternative anchor - just in case the bottom requires it .... the type of chain will be driven by the type of windlass you have - if you have one... not all chains fit the different windlasses.... so just be aware of that.... fyi, it is primarily the chain that will hold your boat in place in high winds and it is the anchor that will pinch the bottom - if you are on the light side on either... she may drag... sooo look at west marines catalog for info - which is a good source... Good luck and happy anchoring!

C

Carl and Jule

H38 Anchor

You are on the same track that we are for our soon-to-be H38. We will have a 44-pound Bruce with 70 feet of 5/16 G4 HT chain and 250 feet of 5/8" 3-strand nylon. Those are all about one size larger than most guidelines for the size of our boat, but that's the way we like it. Carl and Jule s/v Syzygy

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
On-line Article May Be Helpful

This article tends to confirm what several of the posters have said about bigger is better if you're serious about anchoring. http://www.bwsailing.com/01articles/issue/0704/specialsection.htm Heavier ground tackle provides a greater margin of safety and may provide that little bit extra in the event the anchoring conditions weren't textbook perfect. If weight in the bow is an issue and the water tank is also in the bow, one can carry a little less water to help compensate. In the case of our HL-35 the chain locker is forward of our water tank so chain weight has a greater negative impact on bow buoyancy. Since we spend a lot of time anchored out we're considering a watermaker in order to reduce the amount of water we have to carry in the 65 gallon water bow tank. Water is 8.35 lbs/gal so, for example, 10 gallons is 83.5 pounds - that weight adds up pretty quick.

J

Joe Wienecke

water tanks and anchors

I have a 75 gallon water tank up front and the anchor locker over that but most of the reply seems to favor larger anchor is possible and HT chain. Frankly I did not do much anchoring the last couple of years but want to so I think I will go with the Bruce type actually its a Lewmar claw 44lb with 40 feet of chain I don't have a anchor windless yet. Thanks also for the link I need to read it before I spend the money.

J

John Van Wagoner

Joe, the latest Practical Sailor has a review on anchors. In their opinion the claw is a good anchor. They say "half the price of a genuine bruce and just as easy to set, we'd buy it. I use 5/16 HT chain. The size anchor you want is great for your boat. You won't notice the extra 10 lbs. I carried 50 ft. of the HT on my 410 and 250 ft. 0f 9/16 nylon. I got caught in a bad storm on memorial day. Two boats next to me on 150 ft of chain didnt move. I dragged after setting the anchor carefully and putting out an extra anchor before I went to bed. I now have 150 ft of chain and won't go back to anything less. I don't notice the extra weight up front. John

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
In offats bayou?

I was anchored out in that same storm just north of Hollivar Island with two other boats. The winds were over 50 knots that night. Serveral boats dragged that night and the towing companys made a killing that night as well as the boat yards (a few ended up on the rocks).

J

Jerry Clark H356 SV Persistence

H356 Has 44 lb Delta

I have a 44 lb Delta on my 356. You won't notice the extra weight at all. You will have extra security during higher winds with the heavier anchor.

Status
Not open for further replies.