Anchor and Chain

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vince

I have just purchased a new 42MKII. I will need to buy a new anchor and chain for day anchoring on Lake Michigan. This boat is equipped with a windlass that supports the use of chain. Does any one know what size chain I should purchase and any recommendations on anchors?

M

Mark Johnson

Check the windlass manual..

it will tell you what size chain to use. Mine used 5/16 HT, but do check the manual because chain size is critical for proper windlass operation. Mark Johnson

M

M Kolbenschlag

Bruce

I've got a 45lbs Bruce on 150' chain and 300' line on my 1999. Chain size is in manual. For second hook in a blow I'd put out a 40lbs or so cqr on a Bahamiam moor.

G

gary

get the right chain

Check the manual !!!!!! I have a catalina 400 and it took 5/16 bbb chain. The dealer put on 5/16 ht chain it did not work right and slipped ever few feet. If you do not know the difference it is hard to look at it and see a diference. It took me 3 seasons to find out the wrong chain was used. Gary and Loretta c-400 hull number 10 gldaniels@provide.net

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I've always anchored in mud and clay, heavy stuff. I'm partial to the Bruce or Delta, with a nod to the Delta. I've seen more boats get into trouble due to a poor set, rather than dragging in winds. So my pereference is for anchors that set easily as opposed to hold better. In sand, which I've never anchored in extensively, I've heard most sailor use CQR or Danforth-style. The best way to get the right chain to is to remove the gypsy from the windlass and take it with you when you buy chain. That way you *know* it fits.

M

Mike s/v Chute the Breeze

CQR or Danforth

Vince, Phil is right on.. I use a cqr off the bow and my 2nd is a danforth. Mike WD9EOU C-38 # 169 Michigan City, IN

E

Ernie April

Delta snugs in beneath the furler...

Hi, Vince- Welcome to the group. I found the Delta-44 to fit best on the bow, launches and retrieves easily beneath the roller furler. I initially had a CQR-45 there -- it sits in my garage now. It nearly tore out the furler and that shank was too long so that it was chipping the gel coat at the edge of the chain locker. By the way, the Delta sets faster than the CQR and holds about as well. I have it on 300 ft of 5/16" HT. Good combination. Ernie April

T

Tony Williams

Anchor choise

I have a 45lb CQR and 300' of 5/16" HT chain. The windlass is a vertical Maxwell 800. I anchor most frequently in mud, but I'm taking-off later in the year and plan to find the whitest sandy bottoms to anchor on. The combination works great but there are two small drawbacks... The shank of the anchor is perhaps a bit too long and will sometimes hit the underside of the roller furler drum as i raise and stow the anchor. I've watched carefully what's going on and I don't think it's damaging anything so I'm going to leave things how they are. The chain sometimes jams in the teeth of the windlass. The cause of the jam is two-fold... First, when I'm raising the anchor the chain piles up in the anchor locker and prevents the chain from exiting the windlass cleanly. Keeping an eye on the situation fixes this problem. Second, I had to install a rotating shackle at the anchor/chain connection to allow the anchor to rotate without twisting the chain. The reason was that if the anchor chain twists at all, if the twist makes it back to the windlass, it jams. Otherwise, the setup works very well! Tony. Wind River (#678)

D

Dan Smith

bruce is my choice

I put a 66 lb bruce on 200' of bbb sch70 chain and 200' of 3/4. At this rhode junction I attach a float to keep line off the bottom. the 66 has twice the holding power of the 44 and better than others for sand over rock, rock, coral, shell and hard pack. My opinion is go with a over kill anchor....its cheap compared to 200K of boat. Get a chain with a 4000 lb working strength for a catalina 42. The Dashel's list the anchor as the most important item a sailor needs to consider.. more than sails or anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.