anchor and anchor chain

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I am sure this topic has been discussed before but I am not having much luck finding the information I want.....

my question is : on a 45ft sailboat what weight and type of anchor is best ?.... also how much chain and what size is used with the anchor ?

I have a plow anchor on the bow, but I want to add another of a different type, and also one for the transom....

thanks

sincerely
Jess

Sep 28, 2008
Canadian Sailcraft CS27 Victoria B.C.
Depends. Sailing locally or cruising far and wide? Windlass? If so what chain is the gypsy designed for?

Starting from scratch I would use a new generation anchor - Rocna, Manson Supreme, or possibly Mantus or about 60 lbs. All chain rode of 5/16 G40 - say 250'. Windlass choice would be a Lofrans to suit the boat - horizontal or vertical. Good snubber would be needed as well.

Feb 8, 2013
beneteau 352 Raritan Bay
I have a danforth style. Worked great until it was blowing 20kts and then I was dragging. I'm definitely upgrading in weight this year before I go anywhere.. I agree with the other post, I like the Roccna , they rate them for 50kt winds. I'm just concerned how am I gonna pull the damn thing up when it's time to leave

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
More info

Do you have windless and if so must see what size chain it uses and I have a delta 35 lb with 100 ' chain for my 36 and never drag and uses the new mantus chain hook system and just added the mantus 35lb anchor so you need at least 45lb.
I agree if up grading get one of the new generation anchors.
Nick

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
Why chain?

Chain protects against coral and reduces scope in tight anchorages. But I don't see any advantage on the Great Lakes, or other inland lakes.

20-30 feet of chain and 200 feet of nylon anchor line on a new design anchor makes sense in our cruising grounds. Our Bruce has held in all conditions including a 50 knot storm front.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Anchor System Sizing Tables (Reply #6) & Swivels http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4990.msg30400.html#msg30400
Swivels Stu?! Those things scare the hell out of me!

Jess,

Here is a post I did on how I applied the info Stu just provided you. Might help you work through how to size the ground tackle system for your boat.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but my vote is for a new generation anchor. I went with a Manson Supreme, I might go with a Mantus if I was buying today. Nothing wrong with the Manson, I just think the Mantus would perform as well and fit my boat a little better. But it wasn't on the market when I made the purchase.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Then there is always the first step- look at the web sites of the manufacturers.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Why Chain

After switching to 100' of chain I found out much lower scope and my 36 Hunter
likes it because less sailing at anchor and helps hold down the anchor so much
better and it digs in quicker so much better and when in a very crowded anchorage and some boat passing over the top of my anchor chain much less chance of cutting my chain and so after many times anchoring out in all weather feel relaxed and sleep good at night and when we go a shore don't worry about our boat dragging.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
First and foremost, you need to know how much and where you will be anchoring. If you might anchor 15 days a year, within 50 miles of home, then you will want the kind of ground tackle most are comfortable with in your area. If you are going cruising, then a more versatile set up may be better.
It is a total fallacy that high tensile or g-40 chain is better than BBB. 3B weighs more per foot than either (shorter links=more links per foot) and it is the weight of the chain, not the strength that is important. For the same reason, I would use 3/8" chain, but as mentioned above, it really is a matter of what gypsy your windlass can handle.
I've been using a Rocna for quite a while now (1000+ days) and it does exactly what an anchor is supposed to do, perfectly. I've not used the Manson or Mason, but I'm sure they do just as well. From what I see around me here in the Caribbean, no other anchor does as well as these three, period.
If it was I, I'd get the appropriately sized Rocna, Manson or Mason and at least 200' of 3/8" 3B hot dip galvanized chain for my #1 anchor set up (even if I had to get a new gypsy). I'd move the plow to the #2 with 50 or 60 feet of 3/8" chain and 250 to 300 feet of 3/4" three strand nylon line. If you can afford a Fortress for your #3 (stern?) anchor and much the same rode as the #2, otherwise just a Danforth of the appropriate weight would do fine.
On a 45' boat, a power windlass is an absolute necessity, unless you are built like a WWF wrestler. I've seen too many people put their lives and vessel in jeopardy, having a manual windlass in a situation where a powered one would have had the anchor up and them gone, instead of still winching away as they are dragging down on another vessel or the bricks.
I may be a bit obsessive about my ground tackle (and dock lines), as my signature indicates, but better safe than sorry. However, I do put my money where my mouth is, as we have just up graded from 3/8" 3B to 1/2" 3B and a new gypsy to handle it.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
When you have finished your research, read the links Stu posted, considered the sound advice of Capta you are going to calculate a materials list and cost for your ground tackle that will shock you. Resist the urge to go cheap. Ground tackle seems to be the one place where many boaters think they can save some bucks, and many come to regret it.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37 C sloop Punta Gorda FL
First and foremost, you need to know how much and where you will be anchoring. If you might anchor 15 days a year, within 50 miles of home, then you will want the kind of ground tackle most are comfortable with in your area. If you are going cruising, then a more versatile set up may be better. It is a total fallacy that high tensile or g-40 chain is better than BBB. 3B weighs more per foot than either (shorter links=more links per foot) and it is the weight of the chain, not the strength that is important. For the same reason, I would use 3/8" chain, but as mentioned above, it really is a matter of what gypsy your windlass can handle. I've been using a Rocna for quite a while now (1000+ days) and it does exactly what an anchor is supposed to do, perfectly. I've not used the Manson or Mason, but I'm sure they do just as well. From what I see around me here in the Caribbean, no other anchor does as well as these three, period. If it was I, I'd get the appropriately sized Rocna, Manson or Mason and at least 200' of 3/8" 3B hot dip galvanized chain for my #1 anchor set up (even if I had to get a new gypsy). I'd move the plow to the #2 with 50 or 60 feet of 3/8" chain and 250 to 300 feet of 3/4" three strand nylon line. If you can afford a Fortress for your #3 (stern?) anchor and much the same rode as the #2, otherwise just a Danforth of the appropriate weight would do fine. On a 45' boat, a power windlass is an absolute necessity, unless you are built like a WWF wrestler. I've seen too many people put their lives and vessel in jeopardy, having a manual windlass in a situation where a powered one would have had the anchor up and them gone, instead of still winching away as they are dragging down on another vessel or the bricks. I may be a bit obsessive about my ground tackle (and dock lines), as my signature indicates, but better safe than sorry. However, I do put my money where my mouth is, as we have just up graded from 3/8" 3B to 1/2" 3B and a new gypsy to handle it.
Jess, we use a rocna 25 kg (55 lbs) on our 37 foot boat. We use 3/8 BBB for all of the above reasons. Here in SW Florida i have not yet used 150 ft of chain. Contrary to some of the advice above, I always let out 5:1 or better. Anchorages here run 5 to 8 feet of water. Adding 5 for deck height you are at 50 to 65 feet of chain. ( 13 x 5). I add 10 feet or so of rope spliced to a Mantus chain hook as a snubber. I also wrap slack chain around a cleat, so if the snubber goes south, i am not hanging off the windlass. If this sounds complicated, i can take a photo tomorrow.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Danforth

I have a danforth style. Worked great until it was blowing 20kts and then I was dragging. I'm definitely upgrading in weight this year before I go anywhere.. I agree with the other post, I like the Roccna , they rate them for 50kt winds. I'm just concerned how am I gonna pull the damn thing up when it's time to leave
Did you figure out why your Danforth dragged? We have a 40 pound Danforth for our 35,000 pound boat and has held in 50 plus winds. Perhaps it has to do with other factors than brand.

Dec 7, 2012
Kittiwake 23, Irwin 43 .. Indianapolis / indianatown, fl
hello all

I have 2 electric Loran horizontal windless on the bow of my boat... they handle 3/8 chain.... the starboard windlass has the plow with 100ft of chain and 200ft of rope for anchor rode.... the port side windlass has 100ft 3/8 chain and 100ft of rope for the anchor rode, but no anchor.... I do not have anything set up yet for the transom anchor yet....

the main thing I an needing to know is the weight of the anchor and what type of anchor is considered best for all around anchoring..... I will be sailing the gulf area a lot, but I will also go to the Caribbean islands, and when I retire my wife and I plan to sail to china.... so we will be in many different types of anchorages.... I am looking to set up for most any place we go to....

sincerely
Jess

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I've been afraid to ask this question

hello all

I have 2 electric Loran horizontal windless on the bow of my boat... they handle 3/8 chain.... the starboard windlass has the plow with 100ft of chain and 200ft of rope for anchor rode.... the port side windlass has 100ft 3/8 chain and 100ft of rope for the anchor rode, but no anchor.... I do not have anything set up yet for the transom anchor yet....

the main thing I an needing to know is the weight of the anchor and what type of anchor is considered best for all around anchoring..... I will be sailing the gulf area a lot, but I will also go to the Caribbean islands, and when I retire my wife and I plan to sail to china.... so we will be in many different types of anchorages.... I am looking to set up for most any place we go to....

sincerely
Jess
There is a long history here of discussion on anchor types and sizes. Everyone seems to have an opinion.

Archives have lots of discussion.

I like you also want to know. I have a new to us Hunter 30 and the anchor (which I think is a Delta, but the stickers are gone) and I'm convinced it's too small. What I don't know is what is enough. We don't have hurricanes here and rarely have much over 20 kts. Most websites just show boat length and recommended anchor size. I don't even know what size I have now. It just looks tiny. I also don't have a windless and don't want an all chain rode because it would be difficult to pull up. I also have a Lewmar claw 16.5 I could pull off my other boat, but I'm thinking it's too small too.

Best of luck
Ken

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ken, are you still asking?

If you are still asking, then I suggest you reread replies #6 & 7.

Seriously.

There is a long history here of discussion on anchor types and sizes. Everyone seems to have an opinion.

Archives have lots of discussion.

I like you also want to know. I have a new to us Hunter 30 and the anchor (which I think is a Delta, but the stickers are gone) and I'm convinced it's too small. What I don't know is what is enough. We don't have hurricanes here and rarely have much over 20 kts. Most websites just show boat length and recommended anchor size. I don't even know what size I have now. It just looks tiny. I also don't have a windless and don't want an all chain rode because it would be difficult to pull up. I also have a Lewmar claw 16.5 I could pull off my other boat, but I'm thinking it's too small too.

Best of luck
Ken

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
OK, so one size heavier roll-bar, spade-type anchor than the tables show. 200' All chain rode for the main anchor (3/8 BBB). Take the other chain/rope rode (100'chain/200'rope) and and stow it mid-ships with a disassembled Mantus for use in deep anchorages, or storm. Cut down the chain on one of those rodes to 30 feet and shackle it to a fortress/guardian alloy anchor for stern / kedge. I would stow that kedge rode near the stern anchor, and hang the fortress in a mantus anchor hanger (nice item) on the pushpit rail.

But I can't see your boat from here, and won't be aboard to offer more cheap advice when the spit hits the fan. :) Just my 2 cents to get you going.