Analog Voltmeter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2007
Hunter 38 Owen Sound, Ontario
The analog DC Voltmeter on main breaker panel of our 2005 38 has died. I've been looking for a replacement meter but been unable to find one of the same dimensions. Has anyone else had problems with the panel meters? Any idea who manufactures the panels for Hunter or where replacement meters can be found? Meter was never very accurate but I really miss being able to get a quick look at voltage without having to get out my handheld meter. Really would appreciate any help.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Call Hunter

Try calling Hunter I have always found Hunter to be very helpful,they may even be able to get you one.
Nick

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Analogue meters were once a very competitive market and many manufacturers supplied virtually identical models.
All meters have to comply with standards for both dimensions and performance so a replacement should drop right in.
In many instances the makers name is in very small print on the dial, or there is a code on the back which you may be able to chase down via Google. You may have to remove the meter to see it.
Very unusual to have one fail because they spend most of their time not being used - unless the boat is very damp.
Be sure it really is the meter which I would expect to be a 50 microamp movement scaled 0 to 20 volts and with a 400 K ohm series resistor which is much more likely to fail. This resistor is easily changed, particularly if it is external to the meter.

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
If it were me, I would look for a digital meter of the same dimemsions to replace it. I'm just more partial to digital meters - I think they are more accurate and easier to read, especially if you log in volt reading at start of each days use of the boat. (I'm a little annal that way.)

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Check the terminals first

Could just be loose or corrosion.

Also DigiKey has everything with the dimensions and bolt patterns etc.

Apr 6, 2007
Thank you all. Some good advice. I think that I may have "killed" the meter myself. It had started reading high. Thought my alternator regulator was going bad as I was seeing 15.5 V. Then noticed 15.5V from my shore charger. Tested with my digital multimeter and found 14v! I attempted to adjust voltage down and unit worked for a few days then just stopped reading alltogether. Tried all usual boater stuff, removing, reinstalling, cursing at it a bit...still dead.
Meter is actually 3" by 2 1/4" with cut out window that doesn't match diagrams for Blue Seas and others. Seems that not all 2 1/2" meters are then same size at all. Tried Googling part # but came up blank. Only manufacturer info on unit is "Made in China" !
On Alan's suggestion looked on the Paneltronics site and found meters there that have the same panel cut-out dimensions and screw positions. Will be contacting them tomorrow! They also have a digital meter which should drop right into the panel. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Apr 6, 2007
I have just installed a new Digital voltmeter (part # 570-001B) from Paneltronics. Fit the panel window perfectly and screws lined up nicely. 10 minute job as I had to crimp connections. Better than new! Lovely digital readout. Thank you all for your advice, especially Alan for the link to Paneltronics. Ordered the meter on-line from Paneltronics and it was in my hands a week later having been through Canadian customs.

Attachments

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.