An odd sailing situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Even without electronics, unless the tell tales are flying to perfection you wont get any optimization of sail trim.

This includes dead downwind sailing where one uses the tell tales to 'balance' the drag forces (non-aerodynamic sailing) although your description highly suggest you were sailing in aerodynamic conditions.
In 5-7 kts, there isnt much 'energy' that can be transferred from the wind to the sails, plus the sails will VERY easily develop an invisible separation stall, especially if the sails are not 'flattened' to prevent this 'separation' stall. Without shaping to FLAT sails in 'light' winds you risk the deadly 'separation stall' ... and the boat will almost come to a dead stop - only a FULL set of tell tales (luff, mid cord, and leeches) will show exactly what going on.
In such 'light' conditions the only 'real' way go downwind is to SAIL the boat downwind by 'tacking downwind' to keep the apparent wind as high as possible (Stu's reply). If you 'parachute' instead of aerodynamically having the increase of apparent wind all youre going to get is .... nowhere. For light winds, shape is more important than trim, and the shape you need for 'light' is FLAT simply because the wind doesnt have enough energy to stay 'attached' to the sails. Midcord tell tales (and an accurate speedo) will tell you how much draft (outhaul and fairlead position) you need.

FWIW, in light winds and when beating, the clew of the jib/genoa can be brought in toward the mainsail by a considerable amount (barberhauler, etc.); 1. since the main is or should be more flattened and 2. with less draft the 'slot distance' can be 'closed' .... just until the point that you see so-called 'backwinding'.

;-)

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
No offense to the OP but there is definitely some information left out. No way even a half-assed trim setup on a beam reach would cause a drop to 1 knot in 5-7 knots true. I suspect the true wind went down to 2+ knots.

Mike 1

Sep 19, 2010
Hunter h27 Sandusky,Ohio
I was able to get out in better wind this week. I tried a lot of the stuff mentioned in this thread...and what I have figured out is 1) my knot meter is a piece of *&#&^# 2) like this last post says and I think was mentioned earlier...the wind was dropping. 3) sails were more or less trimmed close, maybe not perfect but I had no issues moving along all different points this last time out. Guess I need to get a GPS so I have a better idea of speed... Thanks for all the input!

OldCat

Jul 26, 2005
Catalina , Nacra 5.8, Laser, Hobie Hawk Wonmop, CO
...like this last post says and I think was mentioned earlier...the wind was dropping. 3) sails were more or less trimmed close, maybe not perfect but I had no issues moving along all different points this last time out....
Sails trimmed close & beam reach = probable stall (like an aircraft wing stall) for the sails = no sail power. Add dropping wind, and you slow way down.

Beam reach & w/o telltales: let the sails out until they luff, trim in 'till they don't luff. You should start moving. Trim in more to increase the angle of attack, you should speed up until the sails stall as long as the wind and point of sail remain the same. Truly, you need tell tales...

The above is a big simplification - so get guys like Don and RichH to bring you "up-to speed" on telltales so that you can do it 'right'. Besides, I can listen in and learn more from them...

OC

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
I recently finished a refit of my O'Day 23 with the help of my brother. One of the things we did was to replace the knotmeter and non-functional compass with a Garmin 421S chart reader. I also bought the Inland Lakes Vision card for it. It gives speed over ground, and the vision card will plot a navigable course to my destination instead of showing a straight course (through land masses and other obstructions). If you are thinking of adding a fairly cheap electronic system, look at this unit.

Aug 14, 2011
Frankyh 4 london
I must say code and use them constantly, and sailing. I do not have a lot of electronics on the boat. I removed the idle wind speed / direction, and put up with a simple but Windex.

Status
Not open for further replies.