An issue with rare boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Needed a new mainsail cover and a complete bimini. With modern(ish) production boats this is not much of an issue just select the manufacturer (Hunter/Catalina/etc/etc/etc), year, boat length and color.
Not so with a 45 year old boat whose production run wasn't in the thousands. I tried to order a premade main cover and for the overall length (12 ft) I was supposed to have a 24" circumfrence mast! Wow, I like things oversized a bit but that would look pretty out of place on my 24' boat.
Off to the local sail loft and $18/ft.
As for the bimini, most I see in "store bought" are 6' long (fore to aft), which on my boat means I would have to either squeeze out (like toothpaste out of a tube) between it and the back of the house or climb out from the stern end and tiptoe along a very narrow deck around the top to go forward. So I needed something shorter in length and was very lucky to find a 4.5' ski boat bimini in great shape with a stainless frame on Craigslist for $120. Only problem was the ski boat day glow red canvas so off to a canvas shop with $325 and I pick it up tomorrow or Tuesday.
To me these old classic boats are worth the little extra effort it takes to dress them up.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You're basically shopping in the wrong world. There are very few older, limited production sailboats that would have premade canvas. Just about all canvas makers will let you send them dimensions and the will send you a quote.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
You're right Joe. I'd rather buy off the shelf instead of going custom with a canvas shop! Rather leave that to yacht-i-er people than myself.
But I like my little old boat:).

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yes, my friend.... you must pay the price for you individuality.

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
Mom used to call me a "Problem Child". I like "individuality" better!
Off to the canvas shop in a few to pick up the bimini. Hopefully it's the right color, fits and isn't already covered in bird droppings. The last will happen as soon as I get it installed.
Hope you're having a fine California day, we're hot and sweaty and waiting for some rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.