An Introduction

May 10, 2004
Hunter 340 Bremerton, WA up from Woodland
Hello, fellow Sparky's....
Just re-activated the old license that I let expire some 30 years ago, but had held since 1967. Thought I'd take advantage of the August, 2014 rule that let former operator class be re-instated if you just passed the technician elements. Well, decided to take all three and, much to my surprise, no sweat.

Even more surprising is that I then hauled the old HW-100 out of the attic, replace the rubber drive belts to the tank caps, and it fired right up. Even managed a few Oregon/Washington 75m SSB contacts. Wow.

Anyway, a large part of the reason to get current again was to rig our H340 with a Xcvr in preparation for some more extended trips north from Puget Sound in future years. For the last couple of weeks I've been listening to the NW Boater's Net in Puget Sound and the GNBN out of BC; though, with the summertime hash on 75m, it has been hard to pull in most of the participants. They both sound like solid groups of folks, though, and I'm looking forward to working them locally. This will be an occasional event for the time being as I live and work in Portland, OR, but sail out of Gig Harbor, WA.

So, going out this weekend in South Puget Sound, so I went out and purchased a Yaesu FT-450D and am going to take it out with us, haul up a sloper, and see what we can work on the Sound with a temporary set-up. Anyone on this board local to the Sound that we might work as a test?

Good to meet you all and I hope to have the /mm station running soon so we might meet on the air.

BTW, call for the moment is KG7SUG until my old call application goes through.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Nice! We'll have to listen for you down south in California. I get into that area from time to time on 20 meters, and once in a while on 40 meters.