An Alden 50 year anniversary?

Feb 13, 2007
Count me in for the 50th anniversary. I own an Alden Zephyr yawl. I assume it will be somewhere down east like Newport.
There is a possibility that I I could reserve guest morrings at the Edgartown Yacht club Or new York Yacht club for a contingent of Aldens. This event could be a blast and boost ressale values of undervalued boats. Please advise if New port or Edgartown is a convenient spot for others. I propose a Sept date. :D

Feb 13, 2007
Stonington would be a great destination too. By the way I belong to Larchmont Yacht Club, and could make
arrangements for a big group here but i think the west end of the Sound is an inconvenient location. Is that the case
or is their a quorum that would find Larchmont an attractive venue. :?: :?:

Apr 7, 2006
OK!!

I just skimmed through all the posts and Stonington Ct seems to crop up often. Perhaps a start on July 9th/10th that Scot mentioned.

For a Buzzards Bay site Lake Tashmoo? 9 really the vineyard........

No big mention of Boston except that's where the whole package/design started. I'm still waiting for a response from the marina there.

We can arrange something in Boothbay Harbor- mid/end of July?-

then to Camden/ Brooklyn and do a fly by of the wooden boat regatta.

End in Northeast harbor with a get together.

On the way home maybe Newport in Sept for those who drop the hook in that neck of the woods.

Obviously this is way too agressive but it condenses the ports a bit.

Let's keep throwing out ideas and some thing(s) will harden up!

Jon

Nov 6, 2009
Bounding Home will be at the Larchmont Yacht Club on Monday, June 28th as I'm leading the Stonington Harbor YC's GoWest Cruise that week. We'll be in Oyster bay at Seawahaka YC on Sunday, Indian Harbor in Greenwich on Tuesday, American YC on Wednesday, Manhasset bay on Thursday and Zieglers Cove on Friday

If Newport excites, the easiest way is to get everyone to sign up for the Museum of Yachting's Classic Yacht Regatta over Labor Day Weekend. As we are glass, we'd be in the Modern Classic division, non-spinacker. If we get five or more boats, they will give us our own start. The awards dinner at Fort Adams on Saturday night was unbelievable and we could grab our own tables. Sunday, we could cruise in company or something after the Classic Yacht Parade around the harbor. I've arranged a number of group dinners where they will block out seats for as many as 24 at the West Deck Restaurant on Waites Wharf. Good people and great food. That could be our Sunday night reception.

I've always been able to reserve a mooring at Ida Lewis YC for $65 with launch service. I don't beleive Olde Port Marine reserves moorings.

Scott Kraft

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I'm interested in all those mentioned and would try to make anything work. Keep the ideas coming. There are a zillion places for an informal get together. Perhaps there will be more than one get together? This was last season in Northeast Harbor. With some notice, we may be able to rent several moorings together here?

Attachments

Nov 6, 2009
I love Northeast Harbor, but having planned two SHYC cruises there, I've found it is not feasible for a group. No mooring reservations accepted. First come, first served and if you don't get to the harbor by 11:00 you are closed out. The Town dock is booked by the end of January. Great Harbor Marina in Southwest Harbor is way easier.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Thanks Scott. That would make it difficul. Something is likely to fall together, let's keep the banter up.

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Hey Folks,

My wife and I were thinking about a trip up to NE this summer. Like I mentioned in a previous post we'd love to come up and see some other examples of these "good old boats".

We recently started thinking that perhaps we could charter a boat for a few days while up there. Can someone recommend a good charter company that we might contact about a bareboat for a few days?

Thanks,
Jay Z.

Apr 7, 2006
I remember seeing info on an Alden that was chartered out of Belfast Me but don't know if she still is.

Any one know?

Jon

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I surmise many of us are busy getting boats ready. Any new thoughts out there on a get together?

Nov 6, 2009
What are you doing blogging at 5:20 am?

I can still offer the facilaties of the Stonington Harbor Yacht Club for Friday, July 9th through Sunday the 11th.

We can participate in the Friday PHRF Race starting at 1800. Anne and I usually do the race with no other crew. Very low keyed. There is a $12 Racer's BBQ to follow. Saturday we could do a cruise in company around Fisher's Island with a picnic lunch stop at Flat Hamock or Ram Island. We could also cruise into Mystic Seaport or run down to Block Island or Newport together.

One can anchor out in Stonington Harbor between the inner and out breakwater with easy dinghy ride to the club. Dodson Marine has moorings and launch service and the club docks are available at $3.50 per foot.

Scott Kraft

Apr 7, 2006
I think the basic problem w/ us having a big reunion is the fact there were so few boats built....the chance we can all be somewhere-or even a few of us- at the same time is remote. Not like a big class of boats that can always find 20-50-100 boats to attend.

How about we all keep in touch and meet each other either in a group or by twos,

Next week is Windjammer days in Boothbay Harbor and there is an antique boat parade-we're in it! There is dockage at the Rocktide Inn (so far) and fire works the next night. Fun time. Let me know if you are in the area!

Jon & Cindy Smith

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
Re: Alden Caravelle - 50 year anniversary

Bounding Home, Caravelle 992A, celebrates 50 years with this spring's commissioning. She spent all last winter getting spa treatments. Lots of varnish on the outside and even more on the interior. Probably the first time she has seen interior varnish since new. Also new laminate, larger locker tops, an AIS and a hole bunch of goodies and fixes. Wish I looked that good at 50!

Anne and I would love to meet up with others this season. Western Long Island Sound cruise in mid June and out to Martha's Vineyard in mid August.

Attachments

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
she looks absolutely beautiful. thank you for sharing. jon