An Alden 50 year anniversary?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
When I met Jon on Muskrat this summer, we talked a bit about the potential to put something together next season. So to restart this idea, who's interested and may be able to get together, summer of 2010, in New England, for an Alden 50 year anniversary?

Attachments

May 21, 2008
Alden Challenger Portland
As I plan to launch in a slightly unfinished state next year,assuming I get my visa,and not wanting to travel too far for a start, how about getting together in Hamburg cove just up the Connecticut river,it would be nice to see some of the people I know from this site plus I could look closely at all your nice boats and plan how I could get Blackstar into that condition.
Philip Dann

Apr 7, 2006
We hope to travel to Buzzards Bay and points south next summer.

1. As talked about, all Alden Challengers, Zephyrs, Mistrals, and Caravelles should try and meet.
2.How many are below the Cape and would be interested?
3. How many in the Cape Cod Bay area? Portsmouth north?
4. I think we need to star some preliminary planning sooner rather than later.

If we could get a ball park number it would be easier to plan a few rendezous along the coast(sp?)

I'd be glad to help with planning. I know there are a number of classic boat rallys/regattas/events in Maine over the course of the summer and I'm sure there are some in So New England as well.

We're bummed- we haul the masts on Wed and go to the public ramp for a haulout/ truck ride to our neighbors yard in Cosy Harbor for the winter. One more sail tomorrow!!

Jon

Nov 6, 2009
Four of the Caraavelle Owners got together about four years ago in Camden, Sawyers Cove and Northeast Harbor Maine, more by conincidence than by design. It was really a thrill checking out each other's boat and sailing in company in the Penobscot.

As I have become the record keeper for the Caravelles, tracking down 16 of the 18 built, I would be more than happy to assist in putting together a rendezvous. In fact, I had been in discussion with Niels at Alden Design about a 100th anniversary rendezvous but the firm closed too soon to pull it off. Boston and Marblehead were discussed as possible locations allowing easy access from both Maine and Connecticutt. Mystic Seaport was discussed for their ability to promote Marque Rendezvous's such as the S & S gathering two years ago. Newport is also easy and we could become part of the Museum of Yachting Classic Yacht Regatta (Modern Classic division) over Labor Day Weekend.

The Caravelle "Bounding Home" and the Challenger "Compass Rose" are home ported in Stonington and the Carvelle "Pearl" is next door in Mystic, Ct. We are ready to go!

Nov 6, 2009
Bounding Home was moored next to Serena for a few days summer of 2008. Mr. Roomet was out of town. I understand he is selling Serena because his wife has been ill. Beautiful boat. Very original. Very sad reason to sell....

Any other response to a rendezvous?

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
I think this may be my first post here but am not sure. I registered a while back. I'd love to sail her up for the anniversary gathering if one is held. -not sure I will have the time however.

At any rate, Here are a couple photos of Banjo Girl. She's Hodgdon No 3 I think of the Maine built Caravelle. I'm going pretty deep into some projects this fall and winter and I'll update the board later with some details and photos.

For now here is one taken in the spring in cruising mode and another this summer in racing mode. ...cruising mode photo too large. -more later.

best regards,
Jay Z.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2009
Great looking boat Jay. Would love to play host to you and Banjo Girl here in New England. As much fun as it might be to sail from texas to New England, it may be faster, cheaper and way less wear and tear to put her on a truck and then fly back and forth from Texas to Boston or Providence a few times during the season. Besides, we get fewer hurricanes here - that was the kiss of death for us!!!!

Aug 9, 2009
We are thinking of bringing Moth to Maine next summer, Tom, (from Nantucket Sound), at least to the Portland area where our son will be finishing his second year of residency at Maine Medical - but not sure how much farther beyond that we'll be able to get given our time available. Probably more toward the late July window, but a rendezvous schedule could alter that.

We had heard some scutttlebutt about an Alden event at Mystic being planned several years ago, but nothing seemed to come of it, and I expect their planning horizon would need more notice than months possibly. It is very cool to have the run of the seaport at night after closing, however, as a side benefit of being there...

Still trying to get confirmation whether the Zephyrs and Mistrals had chainplate pockets molded into the hull and then faired over on the outside, or whether they are like the Caravelles', but sure look deeper and more substantial than an inside job. Moth probably shouldn't go more than another year or so before getting than taken care of one way or the other (just like the rudder rebuild) Another reason to finally get to retirement!

Dec 13, 2009
HI EVERYONE,

I'm the new owner of Pearl - a Caravelle yawl. We live on the Southern Connecticut Coast and go to Southwest Harbor Maine in the summer. So..... If you do an Alden cruise this summer to celebrate the 50 year anniversary - we'd be happy to participate and think we might be able to do more than that. As you all get to the stage of settling on dates and locale - I'm happy to help set up a dinner ashore if you end up in either Darien, Ct or Mount Desert Island or help in any number of ways. The cruising is better in Maine - and that's where I'm hoping the boat will be in July and August. But it would be great to meet up with Alden Owners where ever you may be in the North East for your 50th. We're still learning about the boat - I'm sure it would be terrifically helpful to catch up with a number of you. I can be reached at two oh three 252 0667 and I'm happy to help in some of the planning for the event or really help in any way I can.

So we're having fun with the boat. Pearl's last sail of the year was in 32 to 40 knots it was a 40 degree day. This jib and jigger thing really works and as this is my first yawl I'd only ever done it once before in my life. Not a bad way to go when it is this windy. Except she did need new winches - so there were those torn ligaments in someone's hand.... we did not escape unscathed. The wounded will be around to tell the tail in the summer too. Anyway - glad there is this forum.

Happy Holidays.

Robin Johnson

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Hi Robin, glad you found the board. A get together is completely up in the air and open to anything. Keep the ideas coming. I suppose we'll have to get an idea of a locale eventually to see how many may actually be able to attend?

Apr 7, 2006
Checked with Mystic Seaport and that was a little ( gulp) expensive- some where around $3/ft for dockage which is probably normal in the sound (but with no real area to drop the hook).

I emailed Boston Water boat Marina- which I think is next to Alden's old office and have not heard back. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Just to throw out a thought- some time early July in Buzzards Bay/Bean town/Mass Bay area and then on to Maine??

I also think Cindy & I could set something up in the Boothbay region which is a good landfall from the south if that seems to work out. What about Castine after and then farther down east?

Gorry- ain't it some snappy out! The wind finally let go so the curtains don't blow in the bedroom- they've stuck to the frost on the inside of the windows!!

Jon

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Hi Jon, that sounds like a good hazy idea to me. I've been standing by to see what (if) others have in mind. Boston/Maine is a good idea to keep moving. Any word from the Boston dock idea?

Apr 7, 2006
Actually yesterday I emailed Niels about spar drawings and he mentioned Boston Waterboat Marina. I emailed them about a month ago with no response but I think that might be related to the time of year. I emailed them again yesterday and if there is no reply next week I'll call on the land line.

What ever happens it will be fun- have to have 3 boats at least!!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
southport said:
What ever happens it will be fun- have to have 3 boats at least!!
Ayuh, or else it's just you me and Tommy.

Aug 9, 2009
If Buzzards Bay/Vinyard Sound is of any interest, Moth and Christmas first met in Lake Tashmoo on the north side of the Vinyard - which a really sweet and picturesque spot that is also an excellent and free anchorage within walking distance from Vinyard Haven. From there, an easy hitch to the canal and down to Maine in the prevailing sou'wester...

Just a thought...

Nov 6, 2009
I checked with our Commodore and manager and would like to offer the Stonington Harbor Yacht Club for a rendezvous site. We have over 200' of floating dock plus additional slip that can accommodate both Caravelles and Challengers. Tie ups are $3.50 per foot but I'm working on that part. Dodsons Boatyard on the northend of the harbor has a fixed dock at $3.00 per foot and moorings with launch service for $45 per night.

We can offer anything from a BBQ on the terrace to full sit down dinner and at any price point that the participants may wish. There are also some fun, very informal meeting/drinking places like the Dog Watch where we can gather.

On Friday evenings, SHYC runs a Beer Can PHRF Race with the gun at 1800 and open to all with a rating certificate and there is a $12 BBQ for participants afterward. I can also arrange for our RC to set a course for us on Saturday.

For those not familiar with Stonington, it is a wonderful town for non-sailors to spend a weekend with shops, a museum, a beach and any number of restaurants. SHYC is planning a shuttle boat from our club docks out to Napatree Beach for members and guest without a boat or dinghy. It is also a good place for crew changes as the AmTrack stops in Mystic and New London.

Suggested weekends would be Friday, July 9 and Saturday July 10 or Friday July 23 and Saturday July 24 as no other club or event have booked those dates as of today.

The Caravelle Bounding Home and the Challenger Compass Rose (owned by Peter Gillie) are there to welcome you.
Iain McAllister can vouch for our facilities as he brought the beautifully restored Peggy Baun to our club to compete in the Race Rock Regatta.

Let me know if there is interest.

Scott Kraft

Attachments

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
Doubtful that I will be able to get Banjo Girl (992P) up for the annivesary but if something materializes my wife and I would enjoy escaping the Texas heat in July. It would also be great to see some sisterships and other fine looking Aldens. Keep us all posted.