An Actually portable Air Conditioner?

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Anyone happen to see or give this a try? seems like something that would be good to keep a vbirth or sleeping birth cool.

i'm considering it for use while on the hook and driving it off the house bank with a 12-24v converter.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A V-Berth can get really hot during the day so I doubt the limited volume of cold air that this unit may put out could cool it. It seem it is mostly a personal face cooler from their demo video. The whooping 630Watt/hour battery translates to 52 Ah at 12V; who are they trying to impress?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The best way to keep the cabin cool is to keep it from getting over heated. A boom tent awning and a small awning over the V-berth hatch do wonders to keep things cool. Especially covering the hatches. Keep the sunlight off the deck and allow good air flow.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
2300 BTU unit for $1400.. Here in the Louisiana heat and humidity, wouldn't do much without being in a closed off place; may work in a vee berth if the hot air exhaust can be easily put overboard..
The small unit in the companionway seems a bit better
but not quite as portable..

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The best way to keep the cabin cool is to keep it from getting over heated. A boom tent awning and a small awning over the V-berth hatch do wonders to keep things cool. Especially covering the hatches. Keep the sunlight off the deck and allow good air flow.
That works in the north and on the coast but... on an inland lake in Alabama ... a tent has no real chance of keeping a boat cool:biggrin:

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
There are a few tests of these units on Youtube, they seem to work for small spaces. This guy ran it in his car and dropped the temperature from 105°F to around 90°F in 20 minutes.
That's pretty impressive for such a small, portable unit. Sure a window air-conditioned in the companion way would be cheaper and probably cool faster but also more intrusive.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
There are a few tests of these units on Youtube, they seem to work for small spaces. This guy ran it in his car and dropped the temperature from 105°F to around 90°F in 20 minutes.
That's pretty impressive for such a small, portable unit. Sure a window air-conditioned in the companion way would be cheaper and probably cool faster but also more intrusive.
I watched that video and want my 5 minutes back. :banghead: (I admit I skipped some sections). He was measuring on the output of the unit, not the ambient car temperature. Waste of time and money, IMHO

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The purpose of a tent is not to cool, but to keep the surface underneath from overheating. The temperature inside a boat's cabin that is being hit directly by the sun can climb to 120F but a boat's cabin under a tent can be kept at ambient temperature. The mass of air in the gap between the tent and the surface absorbs the heat and allows for ventilation to exhaust that heat. I know, if the ambient temperature is hot, it will still be hot inside the boat. The big difference is when you run an air conditioner, that it will cool the space to a lower temperature and much faster. You can tell cruising boats docked in the tropics will have a full deck awning.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I have tried a portable 120V 9,000 BTU unit in a small boat and it really did not work. The hose used to exhaust the hot air gets quite hot and radiates heat into the air you are trying to cool. Pumping air out of the cabin just creates a small vacuum which will suck hot and humid air from the outside to seek equilibrium. These units do not have the cooling power to arrest the heat coming from the deck area plus that generated from the mentioned inefficiencies. Late in the evening, with the sun gone and the ambient temperature lowering they could make a sleeping situation bearable. That little unit here would not stand a chance in a boat's cabin.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I’m not sure if this is the type of unit Benny was using but it works great for me. I’ve used it in upper 80 low 90 degree days and it keeps the cabin cool. You can’t tell from the photo but I made a adaptor for the exhaust and attach the exhaust to a window in the cockpit. I think it’s a 6000 btu unit. We dont use the aft cabin so it works for us.44846940-3AED-40D0-B61C-B80CA551003E.jpeg

BillyK

Jan 24, 2010
Catalina 310 Ocean City, NJ
Seems like the consensus is that it wont have enough power to really make a difference. i was thinking that it would be good at night once the sun went down.. but i think even at that, you're all right.. not enough power to really do the job.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Coleman has always manufactured a drop in A/c unit for both marine and rv use. they work quite well and if properly mounted are waterproof.
ac.jpeg

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I’m not sure if this is the type of unit Benny was using but it works great for me. I’ve used it in upper 80 low 90 degree days and it keeps the cabin cool.
That is the same type of unit and it could be the difference in humidity between NJ and FL but it did not work for us. It did work better in the evening after the sun went down but it could not keep up with the heat entering the cabin. At first I thought it was the unit and took it home where it worked fine in cooling a large room. I did some research and the CFM of air that it expels through the exhaust hose is enough to create negative pressure (vacuum) which draws hot and humid air back into the boat. I did notice that our unit would shut the compressor off after 30-40 minutes way before the cabin reached the desired temperature. By the time it cycled back in a lot of the cool gained had been practically lost. Thought the compressor may have been overheating or the temperature sensor was getting a wrong reading but at the house it worked fine. To drive the point home, I switched to a 6,000 btu window unit at the companionway and that one cooled a lot better. Have heard both experiences good and bad from a number of others so I guess it may depend on the type of boat, the usage, or the particular make of the A/C. My point was that that little portable unit had no chance of working.