Amps 30 50 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Wienecke

I bet this is a dump question but here goes. I am the new owner of a 1998 376, the dealer is telling me the boat has two 30 amps so if I am getting a slip should I go with a 30 amp hook up or a 50 amp hook up?

Jul 29, 2004
Hunter 340 Lake Lanier, GA
Check with your marina

You can get a pigtail adapter to take your two 30amp cords and tie them together to go into a single 50 amp adapter. But I think a better choice is to ask your marina to install a second 30amp plug for you. Ours did that on request and very quickly. That way you have 60amps available to you instead of 50.

GuyT

May 8, 2007
Hunter 34 South Amboy, NJ
Go with 2 x 30

2x 30 is better for one very important reason - Voltage regulation. Voltage regulation is the amount of voltage change from no load to full load. The change in voltage is from the voltage drop in the wire. As a general rule 2 x 30 service will have more wire than a 1 x 50. If you have more wire, you have less voltage drop. So when the AC kicks in, the lights dont dim!

May 7, 2004
Hunter 38 Little River, SC
Two 30 Amp connectors

Chances are that with two 30 amp connectors on the boat you have two 30 amp buss bars and circuits at your breaker panel. # 1 is generally used for most A.C. applications such as battery charger, wall outlets and water heater; # 2 is generally used for the Air conditioner/heat pump. You can run both buss bars off one 30 amp connection,BUT must select the parallel function from the breaker panel. Also if you attempt to run water heater and Air conditioner at same time you will trip the # 1 breaker. You will be much better off with two 30 Amp connections, one for each buss. Steve

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Joe, one 30 amp dock service should be fine...

Our boat is equipped with two 30 amp service cords and sockets, too. In the five years we've owned the boat I have never connected both cords. One 30 amp has always been enough, marginal sometimes, especially coming into a marina after being on the hook for a few days. The charger wants to take almost the entire service to bulk charge the battery bank. After an hour of bulk charging it steps down to where the 30 amp is plenty. Now, if we were in a hot climate and needed to run both heat pumps then both 30 amp services would be needed. Each draws about 12 amps when running. You may find that 30 amp is just fine. It depends on your power requirements. Hot water tank takes 10 amps until the water is hot. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.