Ample Power ....Not!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Duff

My Hunter 40.5 came equipped with an Ample Power "Smart Monitor" (their name, not mine). Late last summer the unit which communicates with the 'smart regulator' (their name not mine!) quit. The unit was sent to Seattle for repair, and since I don't speak "Dilbert" or Geek I received the unit back repaired and installed it back in the boat. My problem at this time is that the samrt monitor is not telling my smart regulator to charge the house batteries. And, we all know that a Hunter 40.5 doesn't need any power !!! hehehe Can anyone shed some light on these so called smart monitors...I'm very tempted to by-pass everything and charge my bank the old fashioned way..you know when low start the engine, charge the batteries and life goes on! I've been to Amplepower.com for some info but again if you don't speak IBM ahem then I seem to be lost. Thanks in advance for any advice! Mike Duff

R

Ricky Prevete

Smart Instruments Need Smart Owners

I've had Smart instruments on my boat for years and they've performed excellently. Almost everybody who installs them loves them. Double check with the people at the Cruising World BB. But you do have to put in some effort to understand how the instruments need to be adjusted to your battery type and capacity. They are specifically made to minimize engine running time by maximizing battery charge rate. In order to do this, adjustments are necessary. Get a manual. Make sure all of the wires are intact. Follow the relatively simple instructions on adjustments.

B

Bill Hall

Smart Owners?? Reply to Rickey

Dear Mr. Prevete. This site is for free exchange of ideas so that all can gain from each others experience. You have stated the obvious to you, but were of little help to Mr. Duff. I suggest that it would have been better not to respond.

A

Arthur Boas

Some basics

Ok, so let's talk about how your alternator and regulator work. The alternator has a rotating coil, (rotor), inside a stationary outside winding (stator). Brushes on the shaft of the rotor allow current to be pumped into the rotor which magnetizes it, thereby generating output current in the stator. A small regulated amount of rotor current acrutally produces a significant amount of stator output owing to the high RPM's. So the first step is to see if the rotor is getting what is called field current. This is the "F" terminal on the alternator. Trun on your key switch, DO NOT START THE ENGINE, and place a screwdriver or other ferrous tool at the alternator pulley nut. Is it magnetic? If not, you have an enable line problem. Basically, the key output turns on and off the regulator so the stator doesn't suck power when the engine is off. This is a Brown wire typically on your regulator, whereas the field output from the requaltor is Blue. Hope this is a starting point.

R

Ricky Prevete

Au Contraire Mr. Hall

My suggestion re Ample Power instruments was exactly to the point of inquiry of the post. The instruments have very extensive diagnostic functions that are clearly described in the manual. If there is a problem, it is easy to determine. And as the manual states repeatedly, the most common cause of problems with the units is a fault in the wiring, which involves quite a few wires, some of which are run in parallel and some of which must be run in twisted pairs. These units MUST be adjusted upon installation, and that cannot be done without a manual. Understand now why I suggested getting a manual and checking the wires? It's all explained clearly in the manual.

B

Bob O'Brien

Solved same problem on my H37.5

Michael I had the same problem last year on my 1992 37.5. I attempted to diagnose the problem using the flashing light signal being given by the regulator and the Ample Power manual. I couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the alternator or wiring, but given the complexity of the wiring on my boat I decided to bring in a marine electrician. He ultimately confirmed my diagnosis that the regulator was shot. I ended up replacing it with a new Ample Power smart regulator, but the electrician did say that the bypass was a very acceptable alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.